Straw drinking?

So I gave my one year old one of those straw sippy cups thinking that it would take a while to catch on. Turns out it didn't take long at all and he LOVES it! The cup says for 2 and up. I was just wondering if there was a specific reason that I should not let him use it until he is two (teeth, ear infections, or something like that) or if its okay to let him use it now?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my daughter on those kinds of cups around 8 months since she had never been given a bottle and she didn't quite understand the idea of tipping the cup up to get the liquid. Her teeth are perfect, she has never had an ear infection and drinks out of a regular cup now. She is 2 now.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son started drinking from a straw at a very yound age. He has never wanted a sippy. He drinks out of a cup with a straw and has never had a problem. It probably says two and up because one child, one day shoved a straw down their throat. Who knows!! Go with what works for your child, all are different.
    megeo28

Answer by megeo28 at 9:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My daughter started on the straw cups too. She didn't understand how to lift the cup up so the straw worked great. I think it's 2 and up b/c they don't think younger babies have the ability to hold the cup down and drink. Once my dd learned to tilt her head back to drink, she couldn't use the straw cup any more. It made her mad that it wasn't working. kids are silly :) Now at 19 months she still doesn't like it b/c she has to suck a lot harder than she does for a non spill proof straw.
    Anonymous

• I started the straw at 5 mo. I don't think there is any reason not to. Babies still have the sucking instinct...toddlers tend to take longer to catch on because they don't.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 14, 2009