Currently I am pregnant with my second child.

I am one of those lucky women that decides they want to be pregnant and it happens right away, at least so far. I have a couple of girlfriends trying to conceive and they are having a difficult time, each has been trying for about 9 months. I have been very supportive listening to their concerns and talking all night on the phone when either calls because they got their period. My problem is this, neither of them show any signs of happiness for me that I am pregnant and actually get rather annoyed if it even comes up. I don't talk about my pregnancy very much because I understand how difficult it is for them, however I feel I should be able to talk about my excitement with 2 of my BFs. BTW they do not know each other. Am I out of line to want some congratulations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I completely understand. I am pregnant with my second and it was the same situation, we decided to have another and BOOM almost immediately, just like the first. We are truly blessed in that aspect. My best friend was also trying to concieve for a while with no luck. I was truly scared to tell her I was pregnant because I didn't want to hurt her, but she was so happy for me and very supportive. I can't even imagine what I would be feeling if we were having a hard time having a baby, but I can't imagine not being there for a friend either.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't think wanting congratulations is a bad thing, but be empathetic. They may be jealous and envious and a little upset that it was so lucky for you, you know? It hurts that they don't share your joy but it is probably rough on them. Give it time, and they may get over it.. otherwise I don't have any advice. sorry.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:18 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yes, I think what you want is heartless. If you openly ask this to a frustrated woman, you are rubbing her face in her misery. These ladies are crying inside. You should be more understanding.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 9:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• BlueSaphire: I'm not asking them for anything but to be the friend I have been to them during their difficult time. Appearantly you don't understand how hurtful it is to have your best friends completely ignore the fact that you have good news.
    Anonymous

• My gosh, Anon. Is it all about you?! How are you being a friend to these ladies, if you are less concerned about your friends' deep heartbreak? This is you second baby that you conceived instantly while your friends have been struggling for many months. Understand the heartbreak of your friends, (place yourself in their shoes) while they are still your friends.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 10:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009