My son is 20 month's old and still not talking very much. Should I be VERY concerned or a little concerned?

megeo28

Asked by megeo28 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well all children develop at different times, so i dont think you should be concerned if you are you can always talk to the doc and see what he says..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My DD is 26 months and doesn't talk. You can PM me if you want to talk about what we are doing.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 9:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• talk to your doc. and also have his hearing checked. but don't be to concerned.. they all develop at different times.
    40yrmom

Answer by 40yrmom at 10:10 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I DON'T REALLY KNOW HOW CONCERNED TO BE ABOUT IT!!!! IF IT WERE ME I WOJLD TAKE THE CHILD TO THE DR JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE.
    HURTING58
    hurting58

Answer by hurting58 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• What do you mean by "not very much"?
    Do you mean he only says a handful of words? Then talk to your doctor. He may be fine or he may benefit from some help.
    Do you mean he only says single words, not phrases or sentences? Then he is normal.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Do you have an older child? My second daughter was very late talking... around 2 before really showing much interest in it. My best friend's second child was the same way, he barely talked before he was 3. They just didn't need to talk, their older siblings did it for them. Then one day the flood gates opened and she talks all the time now.

If you're seriously worried, talk to your doctor. Part of his job is to make you feel better too =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I have the same exact problem w/ my 22 month old son. He has said words in the past (mama, dada, bye bye) but then it's like one day he stopped saying it all. he said mama at 3 months old! I try to say to him...cup, fry, eat...and he just looks at me like I'm crazy but he knows exactly what I'm talking about. I researched alot online about their speech development & most say to contact a specialist but I really don't think that's necessary. they all develop at their own pace. in my case, since he's spoke a few words before, I really just feel he's lazy. it's just me & him all day & I pretty much know what he wants. so hang in there, don't worry...you'll be screaming HUSH UP before you know it!
    DixieLane

Answer by DixieLane at 12:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Speak to your pediatrician about it -- babies' hearing is typically screened before they leave the hospital at birth, but maybe it should be checked again. Also, chronic ear infections can contribute to slower speech development.

I felt my son was speech delayed -- he is 20 months old but was a preemie, so I knew he might have some delays. He babbles constantly but no "real" words. Our pediatrician wasn't overly concerned, but I read the earlier the intervention the better, so I contacted our local area education agency to have him screened. He is now receiving speech therapy services every other week at no charge.

Listen to your "mommy instinct." Be aggressive -- if you don't feel your doctor is being responsive, keep asking questions & investigating on your own.
    susanb1229

Answer by susanb1229 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 17, 2009