Is it okay to take a baby in a nail salon? Fumes......

My baby is 5 mo. old and I was just wondering if it was okay for her to go with me to get a manicure because of the fumes.

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 10:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2012 in General Parenting

• I do not see an issue, really.

Answer by louise2 at 10:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• unless she has breathing issues, i'm sure she'll be fine. how's her behavior, is the better question? will she cry, and you need to pick her up? (kinda hard to do with your hands being manicured)..you might want to call ahead and ask when a less-busy time of day is and tell them you'll have to bring a baby.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:04 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• The ones I've been in aren't safe for ADULTS much less a baby

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Make an appointment at a "real" salon for a manicure, any salon that wears maks or you can smell a strong smell is using product with MMA in it, and it isn't good for you or you baby,, most salons charge for a regular manicure about the same as the salons I have described, and you can bet you will get a good quality polish like OPI that is fresh, not one that has been diluted so much it chips in 2 days.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I get shallacked often and take my daughter. She's 8 months now and I've been going since she was 8 weeks. Never hurt her.
    ginger5653

Answer by ginger5653 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• It should be fine as long as it's a bigger, more open salon, and not a little hole-in-the-wall type of place. Out of the places I've been to, some have better air flow and you can't smell much.... but I've been to some with no air flow whatsoever and the chemical smells just linger.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I wouldnt go into one by myself lol The workers wear masks and I never see the clients wear them....not risking it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:25 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I took my kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2012

• i dont think it does anything. i bring my dd and she been coming since she was about 2 months
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 1:38 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I would not expose a child to the toxins and fungus. Of course, I would not expose an adult to those, either.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:47 PM on Jan. 19, 2012