how do you start a baby on bread and cheerios? Ty is 7mos old, I am so nervous he is going to choke.

TysMommy125

Asked by TysMommy125 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start with the Gerber Puffs. They are about the size of a Cheerio so they have great finger skills practice but they dissolve in his mouth if he doesn't chew them up - eliminating the choking hazard.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Gerber Puffs are the best they melt in the mouth. wonderful invention.
    lauraluann

Answer by lauraluann at 10:33 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Do you break up the puffs or leave them whole?
    TysMommy125

Answer by TysMommy125 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Leave them whole. If you want, you could do what I did so that you can tell how fast they dissolve. You could eat one. lol My boys loved the puffs! They still do and they are 2 and 3 now! lol The sneak my nephews puffs sometimes when he visits us. lol
    stayathomemomkp

Answer by stayathomemomkp at 10:59 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree. Gerber puffs! Once he gets the idea that solids are okay to mush and chew I'd move on to small pieces of banana and firm avacado before Cheerios. I know they've long been the "baby staple" but Cheerios are suprisingly hard!
    momxfour

Answer by momxfour at 12:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I was nervous about this too especially because my 8 month old only has a couple stubs of teeth. I started breaking up the puffs because he was getting the whole ones stuck in the back of his throat and didn't know how to move them with his tongue. That was pretty scary. But he did well with the broken puffs. Then he just started gumming/chewing. I then started to give him whole puffs and he really got the hang of it. I give him soft noodles (cut small), small pieces of meat, bits of crackers. I have been afraid to try Cheerios because they are so hard. Start slow but once they get the hang of chewing, you can pretty much give them anything that won't hurt their gums.

http://1sttimeparents-whatdowedonow.blogspot.com
    NoJo

Answer by NoJo at 10:50 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• start with the puffs, what a great invention. Wish I'd had them with my boys. I didn't go to Cheerios until they did well with Kix. I think they are softer and break down faster than cheerios. Cheerios are great when teeth are in.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• dont start with those. try somthing specifically made for little babies his age. anything that dissolves is great. gerber puffs! they come in fruits and vegies and actually are quite tasty! :)
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 11:00 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I would do gerber puffs. I also use to break the cherrios in half. They also have cherrios in the baby food isle that is alot smaller then the regular ones. Does he have teeth yet. My son started getting teeth at 6 months. By seven months he had 4 teeth and I was giving him gerber puffs and all that stuff without any problems
    Nicole_2007

Answer by Nicole_2007 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• When my son was about this age, I gave him rice cakes. He didn't have teeth yet so he could kind of gum them and teethe...plus they dissolve in saliva so they didn't stay crunchy and choke him (I always was right there just in case, of course!). Also I made sure that they weren't sweetened and only lightly salted so he wasn't getting accustomed to food having to have "extra" flavorings. It's the same idea with Cheerios though...go for the regular ones instead of Froot Loops or chocolate Cheerios unless you're ready for baby to have a sweet tooth!
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:09 PM on Jul. 30, 2010