Obama is christian so why is this group trying to force him to exclude so help me God from the ignaural oath?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090115/ap_on_go_ot/obama_under_god

WASHINGTON – President-elect Barack Obama wants to conclude his inaugural oath with the words "so help me God," but a group of atheists is asking a federal judge to stop him.

California atheist Michael Newdow sued Chief Justice John Roberts in federal court for an injunction barring the use of those words in the inaugural oath.

Newdow and other atheists and agnostics also want to stop the use of prayers during the inaugural celebration.

The oath dictated by the Constitution is 35 words long and reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, I don't think he'll leave it out. This is HIS oath, and if it is what he wants to say, there is absolutely no reason for him not to be able to.

I would understand this whole hooplah if he weren't a Christian and was being forced to say God, but that's not the case.

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I dont know. Here is the thing, he should be able to say what in the crap he wants. Like it or not. If you dont believe in God thats your problem. Just remember this country was also founded on religion. You know if you dont want to hear him say so Help Me God, turn down the volume. I am so sick of these people who want to exclude that from everything. You dont have to say it if you dont believe it. Just let the rest of us who do have our right.
    Anonymous

• If swearing to God is what will bind him the tightest in his own eyes then that is what HE should do. It it were an Atheist being sworn in it wouldn't be worth a hill of beans if he said those words so HE would then swear to what ever would bind him. It has to be the choice of the one doing the swearing. That's why I really don't care if a Muslim get sworn in on the Koran (spelling again...sorry!). Why would you want them to swear on a bible. They doesn't believe the bible so you might as well have them  swear on an encyclopedia! The Atheists need to back off on this one and not because the think the Christians are crazy!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Because only Christians need to learn tolerance and acceptance not Athiests.
    Anonymous

• This lawsuit comes about every time we get a new POTUS. It's his oath he is taking -let him say whatever the hell he wants.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Sinceit's his oath then it's his right to say whatever he wants. I agree "If swearing to God is what will bind him the tightest in his own eyes then that is what HE should do."
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• eye rolling

DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:26 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Uhhhh because HE'S NOT A CHRISTIAN.... if he was he wouldn't be doing something like that
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• JuLiAnSmOmMy317 he would not bedoing what?
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:36 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• excluding GOD from the oath... a real Christian would never do that...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009