why is her poop green?

So DD is breastfed but with occasional formula feedings and a bottle at night that includes cereal. She's 2 1/2 months old and we've been doing this routine since she was 2 months... now for the past two days shes had watery green poop! I'm wondering if she was given regular tap water at some point...but what would cause this!?
Oh and btw she's teething too...

knfisch

Asked by knfisch at 10:32 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With babies sometimes you never know why. LOL My youngest is 15 months now and I remember he had times like that and it just passed. If it lasts to long and if your concered you can always call the dr and ask.
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 12:19 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My son did that to. I asked my Dr. and he chuckled at me...saying welcome to the freak show. He said it's normal and that it's green and runnier when they process the breast milk fast...why faster sometimes and not others? He couldn't say.
    mysweetalex

Answer by mysweetalex at 9:06 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Green poop is usually a sign of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance from not eating enough on one breast. Milk comes out in two versions, foremilk and hindmilk. Hindmilk is fattier than foremilk, and helps them grow better. If they're not getting enough, they get green poop.

Check out this website:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/pediatricks/poop.asp
    ellaura

Answer by ellaura at 11:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It's probably something to do with the breast milk rather than the formula. Could be something you've eaten that upset her stomach or an imbalance in your milk.
    knfisch

Comment by knfisch (original poster) at 2:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Why did you answer your own question?
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:45 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• LMAO!!!!!
    Mitchi602

Answer by Mitchi602 at 7:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• I was going to ask if you'd introduced anything new recently, but since you're answering your own question I guess you know everything you need to know. Hmmm.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:06 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• BTW if my son or I ate watermelon while he was still a booby baby he had green poop.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 8:12 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• Green in bowel is a sign that the person is eating a diet high in iron, you can ask your doctor. I hope this helps.
    VALWHITT

Answer by VALWHITT at 8:26 PM on Jul. 30, 2010

• make sure shes nursing well on each side and nursing until shes totally full like another poster said there are 2 stages of milk while nursing and both are important for her
    also id stop giving her cereal in a bottle it doesnt make babies feel fuller and it can be very bad for little babies digestive system
    at least do some research on it before continuing to do it
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 9:40 AM on Jul. 31, 2010