Why do we wear underpants?

My 6 year old daughter asked me, "Why do we have to wear underpants, under our pants?" I couldn't think of any good reason. When we wear a dress or a skirt we should wear underpants and maybe even shorts under to help keep our privates, private. What is the need of underwear under pants? (My daughter later speculated maybe it is in case we have an accident or if our pants fall down. lol)

AprilD32

Asked by AprilD32 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Just for Fun

• LOL!

Well besides protection against accidents, they also protect the clothing from body odor and soil- sweat, oils. So supposedly we don't have to wash the pants after each wearing as we do underpants. They didn't used to wear underpants. Even into the late 1800's if I remember correctly- I watched a program on PBS about life in those times and the lady comment that the undergarments had no crotch so she was just hanging free. Part of the deal was the long skirts that they just had to lift to use the bathroom.

Answer by Bmat at 10:13 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• To keep from chafing against rough fabric??

To have something to put a panty liner in to catch all that wonderful female discharge??

To keep mens junk all together and in order???

Because it's much more comfortable than not wearing something soft and snug right up against those tender spots?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Oh that is cute :) Pretty good reasoning for a six year old!
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 10:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• LOL that is so cute.. priceless.. i am totally with her on that one!!!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:05 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I agree...for women its because of chafing and because of the discharge like the other answer said. LOL. For men, its more of a keeping their stuff in the right place. Sometimes I don't wear any because they are so dang uncomfortable...riding up under pants and things. But now I'm wearing granny panties since I'm pregnant because they are soooo comfy right now. LOL
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• OH yeah! Did ya'll hear about the "Anti-Panty" on the Tyra show? For those days when you don't want to wear panties. Its a cloth thing that adheres to your pants so you don't get discharge on the pants and they protect from chafing.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009