How do you roast your chicken?

I'm roasting a whole chicken tomorrow and I haven't done it in a while. What is a good way to roast it? Seasoning, temp, time etc....

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 10:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I clean out the cavity, quarter an onion, a lemon, and chop the top (leaves) sections off of a few stalks of celery then stuff it in the chicken. Tie the legs together w/ dental floss / poultry string / heck, even heavy sewing thread will work.
    I then mix a stick of butter (real stuff if you have it) w/ italian seasoning, rosemary, poultry seasoning, and minced garlic. Then I lift the skin, rub the butter underneath it (doesn't have to be perfect, the butter will melt and spread) and bake it at 300 for 3-4 hours (we like it slow roasted).
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I make mine in the crock pot. I put balled up foil on the bottom for the whole chicken to sit on, then wash the chicken, pat dry with paper towels, and cover liberally in seasoned salt. It cooks on high for 4-5 hours depending on size. Allowing it to cook on high causes the skin to crisp up. It comes out similar to a rotisserie chicken that you might get from a deli. Awesome way to make chicken.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• A friend of mine from a cooking newsgroup I've participated in for the last 15 yrs or so has a recipe for the absolute best (and easiest!) roasted chicken ever. Everyone who's made the recipe makes it again and again. Here's a link:

http://recfoodcooking.com/sigs/Mimi%20Hiller/Mimi%27s%20Sticky%20Chicken.html

If you don't want to do the low and slow, you can also rub the skin with olive or avocado oil, season with rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper  and stuff the cavity with lemon and onion slices and roast-- 425*f for 30 min, then 325*f for an hour or so. Check with a meat thermometer. But seriously, you should try the recipe at the link...it's fantastic.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 10:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I do it the lazy person's way- I have a covered roaster and put the chicken in that, salt inside and out, and put the lid on and bake the recommended time, about an hour and a half or whatever it says on the package. The skin doesn't get crispy, but I don't have to baste.

Answer by Bmat at 10:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I butterfly it, and throw it in the oven at a hot temp so it cooks faster and crisps up the outside. I season mine with Old Bay, garlic salt, chili powder, and pepper.. that's it, it doesn't even need oil or butter.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:53 PM on Jan. 14, 2009