Best way to teach anatomy to a five year old?

My soon to be 5 yr old son was in the shower yesterday when he asked me- mommy whats that hanging down there? When I asked him what was he talking about he pulled on his testicle abd said whats this pimple thing down here? lol- it took so much out of me to keep from cracking up and bursting into tears all at the same time! But I calmly told him that it was his testicle but when he asked me what it was for i really didnt think that a 5 year old needed to know about sperm and all of that so i told him that i didnt know but that i would find out for him- any help? I really need to know what i should tell and what i should keep from him right now at this age before he remembers that im supposed to be finding the answer for him- also if anyone can give any info on where to find addition info such as books or videos you might have read seen or heard of please let me know! Thanks so much!

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well TG you're not thinking about showing him your anatomy to make things easier.

I would suggest giving him the proper names for his pork and beans, and I think it would be ok to simplify what their basic functions are: using the restroom, making babies, loving your SO when your bigger. But for right now, they are just for going to the restroom. LOL
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Yeah I would tell him the proper names of his anatomy. I would also keep it very simple-no need to get into details.

Anonymous

• I agree that you have to be honest and tell him the proper names for things. If you start calling them something else then when he gets older he will be very confused.

I would also explain to him that he can only touch them when he is in private. I know when my boys were this age they started playing with themselves all the time and we had to explain that you were only allowed to do that in your room.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Lol cornflakegirl! My six year old would walk around playing with it ALL THE TIME. I just keep telling him "If you want to do that then you can go to your room and do it" He wants to be around everybody so he stops. Lovelyli217, I would tell him the proper names and how they are used for going to the bathroom and how they are private. I'm surprised he didn't notice tham before, lol.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 10:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• They have a book called "why boys and girls are different" - a boy and girl version - that I'm thinking of getting my 5yo. Don't know how good it is though. It is a series that has other versions that explains more as they get older.

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Boys-Girls-Are-Different/dp/0758614098/
    http://www.amazon.com/Where-Do-Babies-Come-Learning/dp/0758614101
    http://www.amazon.com/How-You-Are-Changing-Learning/dp/075861411X
    Anonymous

• From the time they were babies, I used the correct names for everything. In the bath I would say now lets wash your hands, feet, etc., etc. Then you are not put on the spot when they ask you ,"what is this."  If you leave out certain parts, they wonder why and it's uncomfortable when they have to ask. When I ran a preschool, one child got very upset when he was in the bathroom. When I ran in to see if he was hurt, what he said broke my heart. He was pulling on his penis saying this isn't supposed to be here. He said his mommy told him what everything on his body was but never said anything about that. He then said again it's not supposed to be on me, my baby sister doesn't have it. Geesh, how long had the poor child thought something was wrong with him because his mother didn't teach him all the natural, normal parts of his body.

LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 10:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009