Okay, I know this is going to piss some people off...

But why are special needs students in the main-stream classes? Every year my kids are in a class with students who have problems learning or "behaving" in class. Why aren't there any special education classes anymore? I have seen teachers crying because it is so hard to teach their classes because of that one student who can't keep still, who cries often (even though this is a fourth grade class), who can't really focus. My kids come home with headaches and bad grades because they are having a hard time concentrating. Wouldn't it be better for these special needs students to be in a class where the teacher can focus mainly on them? Where the teacher made a choice to teach special education instead of putting them with a teacher who didn't choose to teach special needs children? Maybe it is just me, this school, or my kids, but something about this is not working. I honestly do not mean to offend anyone by the way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in General Parenting

• This is a big issue at my school (where I teach)! The state wants the S/E students mainstreamed in the classroom which in turn puts more work on the teacher who now not only has more paperwork but has to prepare additional lessons with modifications. And let me add that we still have to teach our current students to pass "The Test" (state test) or they don't go on to the next grade. We are very frustrated and are wondering what our "Special Ed" teachers are now doing since we are now teaching their students! I do not have my special ed certification...nor do I want it!!! I wish the state would stay out of our classroom business!!
    blessedmomtx

Answer by blessedmomtx at 10:48 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I know the scools in Castle Rock CO have special needs classes. I agree with you. Special needs kids do need their own environment because they need more inividual attention. Trust me, it is hard having a mix. I used to be in child care and had at one point 3 special needs kids in my class. I loved them to death and did what I could for them, but in the mainstream in a class of 20 was very difficult. They needed more attention then I could give them. It made the other kids act up too.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• schools:) lol
    LovinEveryDay

• Maybe the shortage of teachers and funding has something to do with it... not really sure.
    majesticchild

Answer by majesticchild at 10:21 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• OMG!!1 I so know what you mean.

I understand where you are coming from. It really takes away from the kids that actually want to learn in the class room.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 10:22 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I know it is frustrating (especially when your child suffers). I know I wouldn't like it if my child was struggling due to another child being disruptive. But, you have to see the other side of the picture. The school is trying to give these kids as close to a normal education as possible. They meet with therapists and counselors and parents to decide what is in the best interest of the child. The more mainstreaming that occurs gives the children more time around "normal" kids and learn like a "normal" person. Now if they are being sooo disruptive that the teacher can't handle them, or the other kids are suffering; they may need to get that student an assistant to give more direct attention/guidance and help with behavior issues. (cont)
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• (cont)
    Speak with the teacher/counselor/principal and see what your options are. Try to have your kids see it as a learning lesson on how to deal with outside distractions. When they get older they will have distractions to deal with. Good Luck!
    gwood

• Yeah, a lot of special needs kids do need special classes. And a lot of schools need money, which they don't have to provide extra teachers and extra space and extra transportation for special needs children. So they work with what they have and teachers do the best they can with limited supplies, support and assistance or support from parents. Maybe if more parents were able and willing to help in the classrooms, the situation could improve. Unfortunately, a lot of parents either can't or won't, so it falls back to the teachers to manage the unmanageable.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I can say that it doesn't piss me off and I have 2 special needs children, one with a learning disability and one with ADHD, he isn't a problem other then his lack of focus. When my oldest first started school, he attended regular classes, but he was so far behind the other kids, but I was determined to keep him mainstream, his teacher and I made a deal, she was movinfg into the first grade (to teach) and would take him with her. After about a month, she knew he wasn't capable and was afraid we were going to "loose" him, so she convinced me to place him in the special ed classes offered in a different school. It was a really hard choice but I did it and it was really good for him, it had 20 students 1 certified teacher and 4-5 aids, it gave him so much more one on one, I do believe that made huge difference.

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• With my 7 year old he is mainstreamed (in a different school, different state) and they have one child who I belive is autistic, but I finds here that the kids really work well togather, my son has complained about the little boy being difficult at times, but Ido feel it is important for my kids to learn how to work inspite of the other child (might be easier cause there are 9 of us), the little boy also has his own aid, seperate from the teacher.

We haven't had any real issues, nothing like what you have explained but I can see your point, I am always concerned that my kids aren't taking to much time and attention form other kids. I want my child taught no different but I have teh concerns. So I have had two different expierinces and both have been good and doab;e, maybe you just have teachers who aren't ready to really teach.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2009