Castor Oil to induce labor?

So, I've done my research on all the positive and negative side effects of castor oil to induce labor, so I don't need statistics or horror stories or anything like that, I've read enough of those in the past week.

I was due on the 9th and I took some castor oil today at about 3:30pm. I've had some stomach cramping, diarrhea, and a few severe contractions, but nothing regular.

I'm just looking for any experiences with castor oil - how long did it take to work, if it did at all? Anything like that would be helpful. I'm just curious, plus need something to do while I wait to see if this method pans out!

Thanks ladies! =]

BriasMommy_827

Asked by BriasMommy_827 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it didnt work for me, but good luck!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:27 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• If it doesn't work, then I wouldn't try it again. For most women who aren't ready for labor it won't work. All it will do is put stress on your body and your baby. I know you're already due, but try and relax. Your baby can't stay put forever ;) Good luck hon! Early congrats on your little one!
    Anonymous

• I have never met a women, in RL, that has had it work. I worked in a natural food store and the only thing I ever heard were regrets and horror stories. So good luck and I hope nothing negative happens.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It took 2 hours to work and caused me the worst experience of my life. :-(
    Not only did I have convulsions, I also had severe dehydration, hemorrhaging, passed out (and saw "the tunnel"), didn't get to hold my baby for a couple of hours after birth due to the complications from it.

SO MUCH WORSE THAN LABOR!!!
    Clearly, not worth it.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:43 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• yeah, for sure if it doesn't work, i won't try it again - i'll just wait it out. i feel like maybe something is starting to happen now, though. can't be sure yet if it's the real thing.. but i'll keep you ladies posted. and keep the answers coming!! =]
    BriasMommy_827

Answer by BriasMommy_827 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• it probably wont work ive never met ANYONE that it worked for and im sorry but why would someone want to take soemthing that does all that to them if it does it to you then duh what do youthink it is doing to your baby .. why cant people just wait
    Anonymous

• actually "anonymous" and wouldn't it figure you posted something hateful without showing your face - i did the research online and talked with a doctor and a nurse that i happen to know personally. castor oil is a laxative and so it goes to your gastoral intestines [GI] and not into your uterus, so it's not affecting the baby. it's only stimulating my bowels which in turn is supposed to stimulate the uterus.

also, castor oil will only work if your body is ready to go into labor anyway, it just speeds it up a bit. i know two people personally that it worked for. it's me going through the pain, so i guess i don't feel obligated to answer why "i can't just wait".

thanks! =]
    BriasMommy_827

Answer by BriasMommy_827 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• actualyl dummy .. it can cause YOUR baby to have a BM which can cause problems for breathing so stop being selffish if you couldnt wait fo rthe baby then you should not had gotten pregnant
    Anonymous

• actually, to be correct you ingest it and has been known to cause the baby to pass menconium, which would cause quite a stir with your doctors who approved it for use. I just wanted to correct you on that. There are many laxatives unsafe during pregnancy as well. Anything you eat/drink does have an effect on the baby.

not judging your choice, just letting you know that it can effect the baby.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:01 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Not sure if you're responding to my post (the 1st anonymous one) or the second one.

Actually, you taking castor oil increases the chances of your baby passing meconium significantly. If your baby inhales meconium in utero it can be bad or even deadly. That's why castor oil is considered dangerous and usually not done with medical supervision from either your OB or midwife.
    Anonymous