Pagan hate or discrimination...

So apparently there is a lot of hate and discrimination for Pagans.

1) do you see it? witness it or participate in it?

2) do you find it justifiable?

3)  Yeah, totally stolen

4) Is any ONE RELIGION more or less "hated" than any others?  <=real question

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2012 in Religious Debate

• 1) I think I see more blatant misconceptions than actual "hate" and still subscribe to the "you getout what you put in" so if you're seeing a lot of hate for a particular group (especially one's own) you might want to consider what you've been putting out there

2) Well this depends on which aspect of #1 we're talking about (the get what you put in bit, misconceptions, or whether it pertains to the original question. As a whole hate and discrimination is never justifiable, though can one rationally expect some others to react in such a manner....it's not out of the question.

3) Yeah I know it is.

4) Some are more misunderstood or disagreed with, but "hated" I don't think so.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Historically, I'd say Jews have been most victimized and discriminated against
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I have trouble answering this seriously. Some of the most annoying of my circle of friends in college were pagan or wiccan, and they were always showing someone their mother crystals or talking about drum circles or giving up deodorant, so yes, I've seen a lot of discrimination, like "we don't have to invite Hillary to lunch, she's given up deodorant," or:
    Paganfriend:"Hey, you wanna come to drum circle this weekend?"
    Nonpaganfriend: "Um...Sorry, I've got a paper due on Monday." [exeunt Paganfriend]
    Nonpagenfriend, snickering to nonpaganfriend2: No, I don't want to come to your f*cking drum circle! I hate f*cking drum circles. And take a bath, you stinky hippie!"
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I've experienced it first hand:
    The first one was on the yahoo group for a local inclusive homeschool group. A new member of the group chimed in that the new drama club would be the perfect for Christian fellowship and to instill Christian values in our children. Several of us pointed out that the group was secular and I stated that I am pagan. This woman said that inclusive just meant nondenominational and that of course it was a Christian group. She said that she knew someone in the group that was Christian and that her friend would not risk the lives and souls of her children by having them around non-Christians. She basically went on and on that pagans would rape kill and sacrifice their children and that something had to be done about us being in the group. Within minutes of her message a member of the board called me to assure me that they had banned her from the group and any group events.
    sha_lyn68

Answer by sha_lyn68 at 1:22 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• (second incident..answer was too long to post)
    Girl Scouts: The first I knew about the problem was an incident that involved the grandmother of 3 girls that used to be in our troop. She happened to have a box of Girl Scout cookies on her desk and a customer started a conversation. When the person found out what troop the grandchildren are in the person said something like “Oh you mean the troop that lets witches in”. I don’t know what all was said but I have been told it got pretty nasty and the grandmother took up for me. About a year later I found out that the mother of a girl that used to be in our troop went around complaining that I was allowed to become a leader and that non-Christians shouldn’t be allowed to volunteer. I guess I showed her. Not only am I still a leader, but I also hold 3a position on the service unit and I am on the core staff for our local day camp.
    sha_lyn68

Answer by sha_lyn68 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• i don't see it..i have a few cousins who identify as Pagan..totally separate families..i don't even think they know of each other.
    i'm not sure who in the family is aware. i'm sure there are a few who would banish them to Hell or try to march them to church..as if that would do anything.
    but to answer your question, i'm unaware of this hatred or discrimination. i can't think of any one situation or event, in person, that pertained to such a thing.
    either of my cousins, however, most likely could.
    #4..i guess it would depend on who answers the question and how they felt about any certain religion other than their own, or one they publicly despise. i know of a few here who hate Christianity, but they aren't necessarily the majority. some would say there's a lot of hatred for Islam-idk, i only have hearsay/media to go on..no real experience.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Really, someone wants THIS in C4C? Not any of the spam fests someone posts here every day with "disclaimer: not my words and I really don't care what you think because I'm only posting for the points", but a legitimate question?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:45 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I'm sure it happens, but unlike the Catholic hate/discrimination question, I have no RL experience with this one. I think with Pagans, Catholics, JW's, Mormons, and Jews there are a lot of misconceptions that can cause this hatred and discrimination. Those things usually occur when people fear the unknown.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Yes, I do think Pagans also have experienced their share of rejection. So have Muslim, and from personal experience, so have Jews. Is this a competition? Because I'm pretty sure we win...

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Nope, never seen it, never heard it
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 7:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2012