Diaper rash that won't go away

My 6 week old daughter has had a diaper rash for about 2 weeks. I have been putting Desitin on it every time I change her diaper but it still hasn't gone away. It actually looks like little sores. Her pediatrician has seen it and said it wasn't chemical burn and suggested using Desitin. It looks sore, but it doesn't seem to bother her when I wipe her. She doesn't cry or fuss at all. Is there anything else I can put on it to make it go away or should I take her back to the doctor?

s_mason84

Asked by s_mason84 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like a yeast infection. Try a light coating of athlete's foot cream like Lotramin under the Desitin.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:16 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• I would try something different since the desitin isn't working. But I would also take her to the doctor again. Don't use baby wipes, they make rashes worse. Use warm wet wash clothes to clean her and keep her CLEAN. Bathe her every day, and let her soak in the tub. Make sure she's completely dry before putting a diaper back on her. The more air time her little bottom gets, the better it is for her.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 8:18 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• have you tried using different diapers? some babies are allergic to some diapers.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 9:14 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Have you tried a&d? I couldn't use that for my son( it never worked for him) but the purple desitin did wonders...My sister was opposite my niece couldn't use desitin but a&d worked for her. Good luck :)
    nyyankeecutee

Answer by nyyankeecutee at 11:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• i wounld take the baby back and tell the doc that it is not working
    tigger3itch

Answer by tigger3itch at 11:25 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• Sounds like an allergy to something - contact dermatitis.. Start by switching diapers or ointments and make changes for a few days before trying something else. Remember if its not sore, then its only hurting you!
    MomNmidTN

Answer by MomNmidTN at 11:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2012

• My DD had something that sounds similar. She ended up having a yeast infection. Talk to your doctor or a pharmacist about an ointment (I believe they have them over the counter too). Also try using powder with some diaper changes to help keep her dry.
    mommmyto2

Answer by mommmyto2 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2012

• My son has thrush and due to thrush he had a yeast diaper rash. It looks like little red bumps and sores. His ped told us to use an antifungal cream and suggested Lotramin which is athletes foot cream. It cleared it up within 3 days.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2012