Help, my 14 month old wont hold her sippy cup. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• can she hold it with help? have u tried placing it in front of her while in the high chair and allowing her to reach for it? it she can hold it with a minimun of assistance she may just be used to u doing it for her. u may need to allow her to b thirsty and then just wait for her to reach for it herself when she is in the high cair until she cs she caan do it.
    Anonymous

• MY SON WAS THE SAME SO WHAT I DID WAS PUT HIM IN HIS CHAIR AT THE TABLE PUT THE SIPPY CUP IN FRONT OF HIM WHEN EVER HE WAS THURSTY TOLD HIM HERE IS YOUR DRINK GIVE HIM A SIP WHEN I WAS HOLDING IT PUT IT BACK DOWN AND IF HE WANTED MORE HE COULD GET IT HIS SELF IF HE CRIED THEN I LET HIM WITH IN 2 WEEKS HE WAS HOLDING HIS OWN CUP
    ONLY_MY_SON

Answer by ONLY_MY_SON at 10:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• try different kinds of sippy cups. try the ones with handles on them. i like the playtex no spill sippy cups. if she wont hold that one, try a different kind. maybe one with characters on it? eventually she'll figure it out. also, i dont know what variety of drinks you are offering in the sippy cup, but try to offer a variety of juices and chocolate or strawberry milk.
    ashlyh123

Answer by ashlyh123 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• my son was the same way with his bottle. i put his hand on it and held my hand over top and let him "help"
    SassyMommyBllck

Answer by SassyMommyBllck at 12:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Have you tried one with handles? We only have one with them, and that was the only one my daughter would hold for awhile. She wouldn't hold the others either for awhile....one day I got a sippy cup for her and one for me, and I "drank" out of it for awhile, and finally she picked hers up and did the same....So, that's how I got her to pick it up and drink out of it by herself as opposed to my giving it to her like a bottle.
    usmcmom29

Answer by usmcmom29 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son just wasn't "getting" the sippy cup, so I skipped it. He's been drinking out of a real cup since he was nine months. I figured it was fine, because it saved me from having to transition from the sippy cup.
    susanb1229

Answer by susanb1229 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 17, 2009