homemade bread

I just bought a Kitchen Aid mixer and it comes with a dough hook. Does anyone have any recipes they'd like to share for bread? Pizza crust?

the3jsandme

Asked by the3jsandme at 10:35 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I will break this down into a few responses..This is my favorite recipe to make bread. It is so easy to make that I will double the recipe.
    1 1/2 cups white flour
    1 1/2 cups wheat flour
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp sugar
    2 packages RAPID RISE yeast
    1 1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup milk
    2 tsp butter
    In the mixing bowl add half the flour (1 1/2 cups each type), yeast, sugar, salt and mix on stir speed.
    Heat the milk, water, butter until it reaches 125 to 130 degrees.
    Add the liquid ingredients slowly to the dry ingredients, still keeping the mixer at stir speed. Too fast and the liquid will pool at the bottom
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• cont..
    Add flour 1/2 cup at a time and turn mixer to speed 2 for about 4 minutes or until the dough pulls away from the bowl and turns into a ball of sort.
    Remove from bowl, cover dough with plastic wrap and let set for 10 minutes.
    Split dough in half and roll it into 2 rectangles, about the width of a loaf pan. Roll dough into loaves (jelly roll style) and place into 2 greased loaf pans. I prefer glass
    Let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled. Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped.
    Enjoy!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My Kitchenaid mixer comes with a small recipebook, the bread recipe (simple white loaf, not all the fancy ones) and the pizza crust come out excellent! I've made my own bread by hand for twenty years and then finally gave the kitchenaid a try (tried a bread machine, didn't like the way it comes out like a brick).
    The pizza crust recipe in the book is also great, we add 1 T italian seasoning and 1/4 parmesan cheese (and a little garlic salt or rosemary) to the flour before we mix the crust together. It's unbelievably good! Almost like foccacia (sp?) bread.

Remember to proof the yeast first - you get much better results.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009