Can you give me a good reason why marijuana is not legal

and alcohol is?

munch12502

Asked by munch12502 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• no
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:41 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• don't have one
    ny.chica

Answer by ny.chica at 10:42 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• no idea... it makes no sense right?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I don't even smoke weed-I have in the past, but was never really interested-that stuff made me sooooo paranoid. I will say though that when I was stoned I never made a mistake or did something I regretted the next day! Now alcohol thats a different story.

I think alcohol should be illegal and pot should be legal!
    Anonymous

• Because at this point it would be too hard to standardize it. Alcohol has standards. Every Budweiser has the same amount of alcohol (plus or minus an acceptable amount). How can you make sure there's the same amount of THC per joint or whatnot?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 10:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• You can't. But what is the reason weed is illegal? Different beers have different alcohol percentages.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• they can't tax it. anyone can grow and sell pot, and the government would never know, just like moonshine. or that's what my uncle told me. He's a cop, so idk if he really knows or not
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 10:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• sophiebethmom, you hit the nail on the head. If the government could tax and monitor the sales of marijuana it would be legal tomorrow. As far as the THC, it's the same as when you buy a dime bag off of the streets...you don't know how much THC there will be per blunt/joint you roll, bongs/bowls you pack or brownies you bake. The sale of it would actually be quite easy. They could have ready made joints and pack them similar to cigarettes (not as many per pack of course) and have a state minimum the same as alcohol and tobacco. If it were legal it would also limit the availability and there would be fewer "dealers" at least in the marijuana field b/c the government would want the highest grade to ensure people would buy and that would leave the dealers with a lower quality of marijuana, therefore putting them out of business.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:02 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Nice going sophiebethmom
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:14 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Ok so the reason is the government want to be able to make every cent they can and tax us on everything....not that the government believes that weed is more harmful to the american public than alcohol is. Correct?

Now, anybody can brew beer. I know a few people personally who have purchased kits to do so and have brewed some pretty good, stout stuff. The government doesn't know they are brewing it, they aren't selling it so there is no trouble. But what if they got found out that they were brewing and selling it without a license? They would be in trouble.

So why can't the government legalize weed but use the same restrictions and guidelines as they use for alcohol?
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2009