MY SON HAS A SMALL TEMPER HE GETS ANGRY FAST WHAT SHOULD I DO HE STARTS HITING PEOPLE AND BITTING I HAVE PUT HIM IN CONERS BUT IT JUST MAKES IT WORSE WHAT SHOULD I DO?

ONLY_MY_SON

Asked by ONLY_MY_SON at 10:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I send my 2 year old to his room and calmly talk to him and tell him why he is in there and not to come out until he is done crying, then i talk to him again when he gets out cause he is listening more insead of screaming and crying over me talking to him. Im trying not to spank him as much as i used to cause he is getting to where he flinches when i walk up to him even when im not going to spank him (of course only when he is doing something wrong.)
    Anonymous

• Of course he gets "worse" when you put him in time-out. He's mad that you stopped what he was doing, he's mad that he's being punished. Let him be mad.
    Put him in his corner or whatever you want to use for time-out. Let him kick and scream but make him stay there. When he is calm, talk to him. Tell him very simply that you know he was mad when you told him he couldn't hit. Tell him that hitting is wrong. Offer to help him find something fun to do instead.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:23 PM on Jan. 14, 2009