Can you even tell the difference between peeing and your water breaking???

What does it feel like when your water breaks??!!

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only time my water "broke" on it's own(It actually only tore a little) I started crying because I thought I was peeing my pants. The only way I realized that I hadn't peed is because it didn't stop.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Well for me it felt like I was peeing my pants but it didn't stop. LOL.
    lelandsmom6707

Answer by lelandsmom6707 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• no you cant that is why some women are either peeing and it breaks and they dont know and even some can be in the shower and it break and they dont know alot of people think it did and turns out lol they peed on them selves ... usualy my dr said if it breaks you should have contractions getting pretty close together
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• It depends on the person. I have heard of people having the water gush out and I have also heard of people just "leaking"
    Anonymous

• When my water broke I felt like I was peeing my pants. As I understand it, it can be a "gush" or just a trickle like mine was. If you are unsure its best to cal your dr.
    momofthreegreat

Answer by momofthreegreat at 10:51 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• I lived with a gush for over a week. It felt like having a heavy period all the time. REALLY heavy, though. I had to wear a maxi pad and change it often.

Peeing comes from the urethra (down low).
    Amniotic fluid comes from the uterus (up high in the vagina). Two different places.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• when my water broke it trickled, i thought i peed myself but if u lay down and stand up and it still gushes then its ur water breaking.. my gyno also told me that ur amniotic fluid has a sweet smell to it while urine kinda smells like ammonia... but when ur water breaks def no
    iloveshealyn

Answer by iloveshealyn at 10:56 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• Depends on the position of your baby. If the baby's head isn't fully engaged it will probably be more like a gush or water running from a tap. If your baby's head is in position it will be more than likely like you're peeing or a light trickle. Maybe even just a few wet spot on your underwear. Varies woman to woman.

With my son my water broke without contractions. I heard a loud popping noise and flooded all over the place. With my daughter I was in full blown labor, 10cm dilated, just about to start pushing and it shot out of my vagina from the pressure of her head coming down the birth canal, lol.
    Anonymous

• Here's a funny story...I was 9 months pregnant and had finished peeing. So then I stand up and all this liquid just comes out...so I thought my water broke. I go to L&D and they tell me the test strip was negative for amniotic fluid and they my bladder was probably being squeezed so I had not finished peeing until I stood up. How embarrassing !!!

So apparently I could not tell the difference...LOL...
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• yes, to me it felt like a big glob. I was sleeping and it was 6 am and I called the L&D and they said that I probably just peed my self and I told them "no, I pee myslef like twice a day since I was 6 months pregnant I know what pee feels like." they told me to come in and they insisted it was pee but I told them that I knew it wasnt and sure enough it wasn't my water had broken. 9 hours later my baby was born.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009