How do I handle a fit when its time to brush teeth ?

what can I do? I have to hold her down to brush her teeth shes going to be two, she kicks, screams, throws her head around and tries really hard to keep her mouth shut. This makes it almost impossible. HELP!!

probabymaker

Asked by probabymaker at 10:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Take her shopping so she can pick out her OWN toothbrush, just for her to hold and use. You tell her, that first Mommy brushes then she can do it by herself. This worked for me.
    Anonymous

• my youngest is JUST getting over this, he is 2, so i let him brush and spit first and then i say wow, let me see, its time for clean up brush to check and i brush a little and then he spits again
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• put her on a stool or small chair and let her watch you brush her teeth in the mirror. I stand behind mine and put them kinda in a headlock. But a loose one, with my hand on their chin. Then I make a game to see how open they can get their mouth.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:08 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I have a terrible two, he refused to brush his teeth for quite a while. I bought a "kid friendly" toothpaste, It's buble gum flavored so it's not so gross for him to do it. He loves to "brush" them now. He will let me do it afetr he gets a chance to try it. At first we were stuck at a stand still with the brushing but now it's so much easier! He even lets me brush the molars and the tongue!! Try letting the child brush first then say"OK Now It's Mommy's turn to brush(child's name)". My son really really got better after he had his chance to brush!
    CadensMommy323

Answer by CadensMommy323 at 11:02 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I feel for you, I have a 2 year old girl and we went through the same thing! I bought two identical tooth brushes and she brushes my teeth as I am brushing hers, we get eachothers "sugar bugs" as we call them :)
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 12:27 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My daughter always insists on doing it herself, which is not good enough! THis pas week I have taken any of her toys and had them hold the toothbrush (like a small stuffed dog or plastic Mickey Mouse) and then I, of course, hold it too! And ask her if the doggie can brush her teeth! She loves it and I get to brush them really well!
    lisa2222

Answer by lisa2222 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Let her choose her new tooth brush and tooth paste. Have her brush her own teeth! Show her how you do it, then, watch her do hers. Have fun with it. Say, "brush a little more on this side so your teeth shine. Can you do it like this?" See if that helps. She wants to do it herself!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 10:55 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• What worked best for me was a battery operated tooth brush. The first reason was my son liked the feel of it and second when he does through a fit it works faster.
    landon030707

Answer by landon030707 at 6:07 PM on Jul. 20, 2008