IS THIS NORMAL

My 5 month old son is still drinking 4 1/2 oz of milk I asked the doctor if that was ok and she said it was fine as long as he was still gaining weight but i feel that he should be drinking more because at one time he was dinking 5 to 6 oz so i was just wondering is this normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• is he getting solids too? Or maybe getting bottles more often than he used to? If the doc says not to worry I wouldnt,
    I had the opposite problem, my DD eats ALOT and the doc told me the same thing.
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:17 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• When a baby goes thru a growth spurt they will eat a little more, and when the spurt slows down, they eat a little less. But if he is eating cereal, its normal for the amt of formula to decrease a little. I think the minimum amt they should get of formula is 16oz. per day.
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• My son is 6 months and only takes 4 oz of breastmilk at a time... the most he will take is 5. I don't think it matters how much they take at a time, it matter more how much he gets total in a day. He should be taking around 6 bottles a day.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:58 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• each child is different & so is each day. sometimes we eat more one day the the next. my daughter is 9 months old & up until she was about 6 months old she never drank more than 4 oz at a time, she was eating solids too, but even when she wasnt she wasnt a big bottle drinker at once
    madisonsmom419

Answer by madisonsmom419 at 1:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• he should be eating cereal now. I wouldn't worry too much anyways my baby eats 5 oz every four hours and she just started cereal and shes the same age as yours
    calliesmommy08

Answer by calliesmommy08 at 2:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My baby girl ate 5 oz bottles till she was 8 months, started 6 oz bottles at 8, and 8 oz bottles now at 10 months. Every babe is different- as long as your baby is healthy and meeting milestones- its ok. This comes from my pediatrician.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 11:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If your baby is satisfied, he is getting enough. If he is happy after you feed him and not crying for food soon after a feeding, he does not need anymore than you are giving him.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son is 11 months old, and almost never had more then 4 oz at a time. My little man is a snacker. He likes less more often. Do not worry as long as your little one is gaining weight.
    hoopys19

Answer by hoopys19 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009