Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

single mom wanting to go back to school.. how can i get grants? or government funding for it??

Im not sure how all of this works, i just think that it time to get things started in my life so i can provide for my daughter but i have NO clue where to even start....

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (8)
    fill out a few pages of info, youll need your tax return. itll come back and give you your estimated contribution and then it will send your info to the schools of your choice. based on your info and funding the schools will send you back the amount of loans and grants you qualify for.

    Answer by Chandra034 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • I'm a single mom and this is my second semester in college. I get ALL of my schooling paid for with a pell grant. I believe that's what it is called. When you go up to the school they will tell you which one to apply for. It's the one that you don't have to pay back. Last semester I also got $700 dollars back, that was left over after my schooling was paid for. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

    Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • Chandra......ya that's what i went to!

    Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • you should definitely fill out the fafsa, i get all of my school paid for in grants and a little back too. :)

    Answer by Chandra034 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • yeah but dont they go off of your parents income until your 25? i dont live with them anymore but
    my parents make too much for me to get on it....

    or is that not true?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • if you have a child theyll go off of your income

    Answer by Chandra034 at 11:47 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

  • fafsa and pell grants.

    Congratulations and good luck!!

    Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

  • Yes, it is important to the the fafsa so that you can apply for federal & state grants/loans. There are 2 deadlines for this. One is a federal deadline & the other deadline is for your state. Check out these dates. For example, I live in Indiana and I believe the Indiana deadline is March 10. If I file after that day I'm eligible only for federal money; nothing from Indiana. As soon as we get our taxes done in February I fill out the fafsa. Make sure that you go to the right site. It is totally free to fill out the application. I've heard on my local news that there is a similar website & it asks you to enter a credit card # so they can charge you to fill out the form. Once you've filled out the application, your school will receive the information (you list your school/s on the application). You will have to renew the application every year. Good luck.

    Answer by soccermom0002 at 8:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.