my sick 4 month old

my 4 month old daughter has had a cold for about 4 days. she has a really bad stuffy nose, coughing, sneezing, and now she is wheezing. she can't eat much because she can't breathe and chokes. she wont sleep any where but her swing because she cant breathe when she lays down. the dr said there is nothing i can do. i have a feeling she is wrong. can any one help me? i hate watching my daughter suffer like this

JerzisMommy

Asked by JerzisMommy at 3:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Health

• My daughter was a little bit older when she had her first cold, but same things applied: I hated seeing her not be able to breathe and not eat! I went out and bought a cold mist humidifier and made sure it was in the room that she was going to be in during the day and in her room at night. Depending on the kind that you buy, you may have to have it right up under her nose... We had an expensive one and it filled the room in no time, I don't know why, but we took it back and got a cheap one and had to put it right next to her crib. Since your baby isn't able to stand up yet (I think) maybe you should put a linen sheet over her crib/ bassinet so the "mist" can collect around her. Also, there's Vick's vapor rub, but I don't know if they have one for babies. My grandmother would mix it with Vaseline to weaken it a little before applying.
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 3:58 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I would highly recommend finding a new doctor. A newborn can get sick very quickly. Ask other moms in your area about their Pediatrician. Meanwhile, make sure that your baby is still having wet diapers. I hope that this helps. Best of luck to you and your baby. email me if you like kimbuhrman@hotmail.com
    kimmie10575

Answer by kimmie10575 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son was the 3 months when he has his first cold and it lasted for week or so and I was told to use saline spray in the nose they have a spray for babies at Babies r us called Ayr I think and you put a couple of drops in there nose and it helps them breath. I also made sure his room wasn't too warm because it made his stuffy nose worse. oh and the other thing I did was have him sleep in a bouncy seat or swing and he slept good.
    arl7579

Answer by arl7579 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• There is a wonderful product called Sudafed Vapor plug. It is a little mentholated plug in (kinda like the Glade kind) and it fills the room with that vapor rub smell without putting it on the baby. I always have it on hand.
    NickiH

Answer by NickiH at 4:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• put on the shower as hot as it can go close the doors and sit in the bathroom for like 20minutes..the steam will help clear her lungs
    taylormcl118

Answer by taylormcl118 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Tap her back very gently with two fingers. This will also help break up the junk in her lungs. It would be great to do it with some of the other suggestions. I always have euculyptus oil around to put on sheets or toys, a drop or two, depending on how close she'll be to something.
    suzymoon

Answer by suzymoon at 9:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My son had his first cold at 4 months and we went through the same things. Be careful with vapor rub because most are not safe for little baby's. Vicks does make one for baby's. Read all the warnings before using it. I steamed up the shower and just held him in the steamy bathroom to loosen up his lungs.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 2:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Get a new Dr ASAP.
    and for the stuffy nose my son had a bad one and the dr suggested to get saline drops and put in nose that clears it up then bulb suck out. I had to do that twice to him when he was about 3mo cause he couldnt eat as his nose was so stuffed. and it worked, they sale baby saline drops in the drug store dont use saline for the contacts!
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2008