what is common behavior for a two year old boy?

my son has major tempertantrums. he shrieks, slaps and he throws things across the room. i cant even go to a grocery store with out him yanking things off of the shelves and throwing them on the floor. its completely embarrassing. when i tell him no and take things away from him, he yells at me. i try the time outs and i swear he thinks its a joke. he really doesnt take me seriously. when i talk to his father about this all he says is "well he doesn't act like that around me." i just dont know if it could be something i am doing or not doing. does any one have any advice?

tylers-mom

Asked by tylers-mom at 11:50 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm glad I am not alone in this! Does he go on a 20 min screaming fit? He had one with his grandmother because she wouldnt let him touch the dead bird... My son will throw the fit of all fits when it comes to being in public. Time outs didn't work for us either. So I would just let him throw his fit and just make sure that he didn't hurt himself. Now he he is really mad at me he will yell at me and I say knock that or now, and he will cry run to his room yell at me one last time and slam his door.. I can't help but laugh after that.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:55 PM on Jan. 14, 2009

• How long do you make him sit there.

I have had to actually hold my son down. Not like abusive, but like hold his arms so he couldn't stand up. It is easier to show then to explain....

Do you spank? Do you just say no, and due to embarassment just keep going through the store? I have had to really get on my son, he was screaming and I got some terrible stares, but in the long run it was worth it...
    Anonymous

• i know that feeling. i started doing something new with my son that seems to be working.. i grab his lil head and i look at him straight in the eye i use a firm voice and say "if you do not stop i am going to smack you, you dont wnt that right?" he says "no" with an attitude of course. and then i tell him "i am going to walk away now if you cry i'm going to smack you" he looks at me and pouts and i keep a straight face so i walk away and i repeat all of this and he doesnt move! its worked so far, at first it was hard..but i got it down now. give it a try! :)
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• wow, my son is EXACTLY the same. but when he hits me i give his hands a smack. not hard enough to where he starts screaming or anything, but just hard enough for him to know that i mean business. im not sure if your against that kinda thing but if you try it, let me know how it works.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• these are normal things and he just feels like that because you are mom. the thing to remember is to stay calm and try not to let him see you mad. if he is doing something wrong, tell him it is unacceptable. it will take a while. and I do mean a while, but he will get over it. i have noticed with my own 2 that the more I yell, they do the same to me. try to keep your dicsipline as non-negative as possible. Instead of starting with "don't," try to reword it. So if he throws say, "throwing is not acceptable." or "throwing is not a way to get what you want." he is more than likely doing these things because he feels like he is not getting something. look at what time you are going to the store. is it lunch time? is he tired? if so then go later. don't threaten to hit him though like that one mom said, you are supposed to protect him from that!
    tammygabeizzy

Answer by tammygabeizzy at 12:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My 2 yo has tantrums, too. When we're at home I just let him shriek and scream until he's done. The ONLY time he's started a fit in a store I asked him if he wanted to go out to the truck and sit with me while Daddy continued shopping. He said no and calmed down. If you're alone in a store with him and he throws a tantrum, just pick him up and walk out if he doesn't stop. Literally - give him a chance to calm down and then leave with him.

I agree tantrums are normal for this age. And they're still a bit young to really "get" a time out (tho mine takes his in his bedroom until he calms down when he really gets going).
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009