HELP! I just can't stand it. My 10 yo pushes me so far I want to throttle her. I know this isn't the answer. She antagonizes her younger brother; when I ask her to do anything- she does it to suite her own needs, when and if she completes it. Grounding her; taking away all ellectronics, nothing works. when it does only temporary. She doesn't get along with anyone. My husband gets her to shape up not me.

Our family consists of Mom Dad 5yo brother and my 10 yo dghtr- pain in the butt.
Both my husband and I work outside of the home.

dinkadink

Asked by dinkadink at 11:57 PM on Jan. 14, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a 6 year old girl just like this if you figure something out let me know!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You say taking away all of the electronics isn't working?

Well, I was 10 not all too long ago and that always worked for me but here's something you could try.

Take everything. Strip her room down to the baaaaaaare minimums. Take the door if you want.

If absolutely nothing else, it will be a little cathartic for you. Lol!

Good luck to you!
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 12:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughter is 13 and we've been thru quite a bit with her! Lucky for me, dad is a BIG OL GUY who can be the sweetest, funniest guy ever, or scary as all hell! His solution to things like this..."Jail time". Take everything out of their room except for bed and dresser, if need be. They get to ask for permission to go to the bathroom, you bring them their meals to the room, you pick their clothes and decide if they can come out on "good behavior". And stick to a schedule, like bathroom breaks every 3 hours or so. Oh and be sure to have a clock in there. There's nothing worse than watching 5 minutes go by! After a day or two of this, they'll be glad to behave, and they'll be very uneasy about the words Jail time!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have one kinda like that. I send her to her rm until Dad gets hm then he makes her do whatever I said for her to do. She knows that is gonna happen, I dont know why she even tries. Shw doesnt do that very often.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My 8 almost 9 year old daughter is like this...attitude from hell! Not a filthy mouth, but just sassy, when she is asked or told to do something or corrected. It's always "I AM" or "GOH!" and it drives me INSANE. I have tried taking things away, it works briefly but has not eliminated the problem. There is already no TV or video games on school days...to keep her in line with homework and responsibilites. Sometimes she will be so helpful around the house, like helping me cook or cleaning the living room, kitchen, or even feeding the dogs and taking care of them, but when it comes to her own responsibilities, most times she is a pain. The next step for me is stripping her room down to the bare essentials....because I just don't know what will work. I might even take the door off too...cause she slams that. My dad did that with my 16 year old brother, and it worked. lol I hope something works for you too.
    ChristyHolmes28

Answer by ChristyHolmes28 at 11:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• what does she REALLY enjoy doing? i know for my 10yr ds old the electronics would work, but for my 8yr dd old, the only thing that would crush her is if i removed ALL the books in the house! the only thing that would faze my 7yr old ds is removing anything that resembled dinosaurs, or transformers.

my point is, find her weak spot and hit her there (not litterally). does she have any posters of bands in her room? try removing them. what is her hobby? don't let her do it. does she participate in sports? girlscouts? make her drop out of them temporaily.
    don't let her have those thing back untill she straightens up

good luck momma!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Call Nanny 911!!!!
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Maybe her attitude comes from the type of friends she has. Also if she has that much emotion going through her to start pushing and fighting then she should see a psychologist that specializes in teens. My sister n law had problems with her teenage son where he was pushing her (he is taller than her) and started stealing money from kids at school (he doesn't need the money his father is a doctor) and lashes out at his siblings as well. She is having him see a psychologist once a week, she started going to church again and forced him to join a teen group at church. She said it has helped him tremendously. Also with your daughter you can get her involved with an after school program like YMCA or Boys and Girls Club or if she is into dance, gymnastics, tennis whatever it may be get her involved in an extra curricular activity to let off some steam. Good luck!
    Mimi1Star

Answer by Mimi1Star at 3:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have not had problems like this with my son, but I have always said that if he ever does turn into a rebellious little brat I will make his life miserable. I would take the door of the hinges, remove EVERYTHING of value to him except his bed and some books and must have things, and make him EARN back my respect and trust, as well as his belongings. Maybe that sounds harsh, but I feel that kids who walk all over their parents and are disrespectful need a STRONG and consistent parent to show them that their behavior will not be tolerated.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• We're still working through it too. Mine isn't terrible 24/7, but daily says something sassy or gives attitude.
    She's currently grounded from the computer b/c she wasn't doing her reading log and we just found out about it. However, I have no problem grounding her further if need be.
    Usually, if we try to discuss her bad behavior, she has major attitude and blames everything and everyone else she can think of. And screams and cries. It's ridiculous.
    We're trying to help her learn to deal with criticism and problems without having a melt down, as they are likely to happen her whole life.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2009