I need some help ladies!

My husband wants to adopt my DD.We have consulted with a lawyer already but decided we are going to do without and do it ourselves. The court says its $275 and that pays for everything. The problem is....we have to find the documents. Where can I get them?

Also, do you know about this: My DH and I have been together 4.5 years we got married last May. I havent spoken to the biological father since July and hasnt SEEN her in 2 years. Do I still have to get him to sign the form stating he agrees to give up his rights? (he personally has agreed to it already he just lives so far away and is in military its gonna be a hassle sending it to him)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2012 in Adoption

• Yes, I believe there has to be legal documentation supporting his desire to give up his rights as her parent.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 7:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2012

• I just googled "file your own adoption" and it came up with several states, so with out knowing what state you are in, I would just suggest googling it.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2012

• There is a form TPR, Termination of Parental Rights that he must sign.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2012

• Okay I understand he needs to sign something. But what about all the other papers? Where can I find all this?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2012

• You should be able to find the information on your local court's website.
    You may also have difficulties since the biological father is in the military. There are different rules when dealing with those in the service.
    Most attorney's give a free consultation. Call your local bar association and ask for a referral for a family law attorney and find out all of your rights and his rights.
    jmo
    PackGirl

Answer by PackGirl at 7:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2012