How to get rid of mange in dogs

I have a one year old pit bull and she has mange. I took her to the vet and was told it's the type that is not contagious. I was told she has a weak immune system and she stresses and that's the cause of the mange. I waas also told NOT to breed her. It seems we've been treating the mange since late last summer. She still has it. I can't afford anymore medication for her. She is such a beautiful and smart dog but when I look at her I see her miserable and I hate seeing her like that. Does anyone know a safe, inexpensive remedy for mange and how long it takes for it to go away? I also noticed she started getting ear infections around the time she got the mange. Anyone know if one is related to the other or just coincidence? What is a safe and inexpensive treatment for the ears? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

mockitaz

Asked by mockitaz at 4:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2012 in Pets

• WinterGlow, There are two types of Mange, one is called Sarcoptic mange Which is contagious the other is demotectic mange which is NOT contagious.  Stress CAN cause flare ups so if  they have been clear of it the stress will cause the symptoms to come back.   

Op If your dog is continueing to get Mange I have to wonder what shape her immune system is in. A weaked immune system can cause dogs to continue to have problems with mange.   What are you feeding her because that can cause the immune system to weaken if the dog is not getting the right nutrients? 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2012

• I agree - get another opinion. You can also look it up online to have some treatment options ready to discuss w/ the new vet. GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:38 AM on Jan. 21, 2012

• You need a new vet. It is something that should be easily handled, and most vets dont want to see the pets they treat miserable. Get a second opinion and if you cant afford to medicate her or take her to the vet you probably need to surrender her to the SPCA so she can get the treatment she needs and rehomed to a home where an issue of medication wont be an issue.

Answer by gemgem at 9:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2012

• Thanks for the info KyliesMom5 :)

Kustomkrochet, you can kill an animal with that treatment ... It's HIGHLY toxic.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2012

• Ummm ... I think I'd be looking for a second opinion. Mange is caused by minuscule mites ... How can that be non-contagious? Stress doesn't cause mange, infestation does. Please, see another vet ASAP for the good of your pet.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 5:54 AM on Jan. 21, 2012

• When I got my dog, she has this weird thing on her leg...poor thing was only 8 weeks old and 3lbs. They gave us a lye liquid to bathe her in. Turned out, it wasn't mange so we had only used it once.........boy does it stink!!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:19 AM on Jan. 27, 2012

• The next time you do an oil change on your car, use the old oil and rub it all over her, leave on for an hour or so and wash off. The oil suffocates the mites.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 8:30 AM on Jan. 21, 2012