My daughter is 21 months old and still wants bottle

she is going to be 2 in March and still has to have a bottle at nap and bedtime. I want to stop this already but when I try to not give it to her she throws the worse tamptrum. Problem is that i have a 7month old and she wakes her up everynight. we have to sleep in the same room since we only have a 1 room apt. any advice?

ang0708

Asked by ang0708 at 12:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would introduce the sippy cup to her at bedtime. or, the reason my son didn't want his bottle anymore was because i bought the wrong nipples for the bottle and he hated them, so he refused the bottle. i kept doing that and eventually he was done with the bottle. try it! let me know if it works.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 12:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If you want her to have rotten teeth continue to give her a bottle. I was able to ween my son off the bottle with a sippy cup. He now does not need anything to go to sleep with.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 12:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have tried the sippy cup she throws it back at me. I am barely getting her to drink milk from the sippy cup. I have to say its coffee for her to drink it cause she sees me and my mom drinking coffee all the time. But I think I'll try putting a wrong nipple on there and see how she does. thanks
    ang0708

Answer by ang0708 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son is going to be 2 in March as well. And we are on day number 4 with no bottle the first day it was SO HARD i threw all the bottles away so i would not go backwards i bought three different types of sippy cups . I started the no bottle first thing when he got up i told him we had no more bottles they were all gone but we had these cups and he was SO MAD!! but i had to deal with a crying kid ALL DAY for the 1st day everytime he wanted a bottle i handed him a sippy cup he threw it i walk away then he come crying ten minutes later for a bottle i hand him the sippy cup again you have to keep constant with it and not give in and they will see that there only option is a sippy cup.
    demonfairy23

Answer by demonfairy23 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• GIVE HER A SIPPY CUP OR ELSE SHE WILL GET BUCK TEETH REMEMBER YOUR THE BOSS NOT HER !!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• find a sippy cup with a soft top nipple like but it be a sippy cup give it to her for a month then slowly intreduce the are top sippy cup during the day and the soft during the night
    ONLY_MY_SON

Answer by ONLY_MY_SON at 2:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yea, I would throw all the bottles away and give her a soft sippy cup one and start with that.. The doctor say. If their thirsty they have to consider the sippy cup.. I know its so hard.. But that would work.. Good Luck Mom..
    alvasmiles79

Answer by alvasmiles79 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thanks guys..one other problem I have a 8 month old so she has a heart attack when she sees me give the little one her bottle and not her. Other problem is that her stupid pacifer is her security blanket how do I do that one. I hide it during the day and only give to her at night to sleep or for her nap oh and she has to have it in the car to..God I'm gonna ruin my daughters pretty teeth. Problem with me just taking it away is that my lil one gets waken up and scared with the screaming she does.
    ang0708

Answer by ang0708 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• How about introducing a new habit? Such as rubbing or tickling (lightly brushing her back with your fingertips) as she falls asleep, listening to quieting music, or something similar? It's hard to break habits (even for adults!) because they offer comfort. It is most easily done with replacing it with something else. But do not replace it with a sippy cup. The point is to get the liquids out of her mouth when she sleeps. In fact, we wake up to go to the bathroom, even before being potty trained--not necessarily waking up all the way, but we are not in deep sleep. Therefore, your daughter is probably not getting the best sleep she could be because once her bladder is full, she'll wake or semi-wake in order to potty. This may happen a few times a night, but definitely more than if she wasn't drinking as she was going to sleep. Just something to think about.
    reeree1

Answer by reeree1 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Oh and with the pacifier? Just deal with one issue at a time. lol Once the bottle is out of the way, then deal with the pacifier. Limiting it to sleep is a great start. I would nix the car-ride sucking first. Make sure they are orthodonic pacifiers and make sure she is not talking around it--this can cause speech issues because the mouth, tongue muscles do not develop correctly. But I say work on the bottle now and wait a few months before working on the pacifier. Good luck!
    reeree1

Answer by reeree1 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 20, 2009