Is it wrong to feed my 2yr old before bed?

I was talking to my baby's father today and he said he doesn't feed him before he goes to bed.. he said the last meal he gives him is at like 6. but i do feed him before i put him to bed.. is that wrong?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 12:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it isnt "wrong"...but it isn't good. When you sleep you dont burn and calories so it causes fat cells to build (not saying your son is fat or that he will be)...but it is better to feed them at around 6-7 so they can burn it off, rather than let it build up...
    I hope that helps
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son is 24 months old and if he does not have a full stomach when he goes to sleep, he is awake at midnight hungry and crying to eat! He has dinner at 6 p.m., milk at 6:30 p.m., and is asleep at 7 p.m. He is very active and has grown four inches taller and only gained one pound between 18 and 24 months. I'm not concerned about him getting fat because of this.  Sure, every child is different, but I don't feel that the same guidelines apply to rapidly growing and developing toddlers as they do to the rest of us. I would never go to bed with a full stomach.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 12:51 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Just feed him if he is hungry...that's the easy answer.

I would just make it a light well balanced snack. So like a string cheese and some crackers to balance out. Nothing heavy either and probably no later then an hour before bed.

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• YES THEY WILL GAIN WEIGHT FASTER LET THERE TUMMY DIGEST FOR AT LEAST AN HOUR !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• the way i see it is a midnight snack lol but i cant be good if you let her/him run around for a while after they eat about 15 then i sure it will be fine remember the food need to settle before going to be to help there system of gaining weight when they are older
    ONLY_MY_SON

Answer by ONLY_MY_SON at 2:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Honestly I feel that their is nothing wrong with fedding your child before putting them to bed because I do the same with my daughter. I have come to learn that kids sleep a lot better on a full stomach
    Ashleyh0388

Answer by Ashleyh0388 at 7:33 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Nothing really wrong with it if he NEEDS it still. If the dad isn't doing it...what are the sleeping habits? Does he wake at night, does he get up earlier in the morning? If nothing changes, then I don't think he needs the snack...

...and there is the possibility you're creating a habit that could be difficult to break later. Besides...the food you give him is just sitting there in his gut not being burned. If he needs it to get through the night, give it. But other wise....well, it's not a good habit.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2009