Help me with this feeling, please!

Hi. Thanks for clicking on my question. I feel popular!

I feel horrible, like I am going to explode. Maybe it is just PMS and I am sure it is. I am certain that when my period arrives (soon) I will feel much better. But right now I am so angry and actually feel like I am ready to explode. I feel like I am burning inside. I feel as though I am actually vibrating inside and it's a very uncomfortable feeling. I don't have any medication for it but that's okay. I just am wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to counteract it and also help me calm down when I feel like this around my toddlers. I am short fused and am worried about losing it with them because of how I was treated as a kid but I am trying to stop that before I get to the point of where my parents were. I guess maybe I am just looking for some encouragement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• BREATHE...in through the nose, out through the mouth...in through the nose, out through the mouth, repeat until you are calmer. This is the first rule to relaxing - breathe. If you are spiritual, find a "peace" word to speak as you breath out (i.e. Jesus, Namaste, Peace, Relax, Yes...whatever). Do this every time you are upset, mad, angry, frustrated. You don't need anything but your lungs for this, so you take it with you wherever you go...once you've got the breathing down, then you can walk away or deal with the situation in front of you.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think we all have moments like that! Try getting away for just a minute. Step outside, but make sure you take your keys with you. Just in case they lock you out, I've had that happen but my husband was home and let me back in. Just take a few deep breaths and remind yourself they are babies. Toddlers are still babies. It can be difficult to remember, but they are. Enjoy the fresh air and scenery. Try to still you emotions. If going outside is impossible, try escaping in the bathroom for a minute. Air probably won't be as fresh! But it will still give you a moment to steady your nerves.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Actually, you may need to check your diet as well. That shaking feeling inside sounds like low blood sugar which makes a person very irritable. Make sure you are eating three small meals and three snacks that are good for you everyday. Also keep a check on your caffience intake. Besides all that, put yourself on a time out. When you feel that you cannot controll yourself, take a small time out and do this method, HALT! Are you hungry, angry, lonely, tired. This works for children and adults. It is much easier to fix a small problem that you can identify that a problem you can not identify that seems huge. If you have toddlers, buy baby yoga. It will be great for all of you.
    Decorgame

Answer by Decorgame at 2:12 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel! I feel the same way often. My parents viewed discipline as physical reinforcement of good behavior. As a result, I've struggled with emotional issues. I often, especially around that time of the month, feel as though I want to lash out at my husband and kids, but then I think of the view I had of my parents then and now and how I want my kids to view me now and in the future. It all comes down to self-control. Do what ever it takes to keep yourself calm, cool, and collected. Have a cup of hot cocoa, take a hot shower, go to your room and scream into your pillow (it sounds childish, but it's my favorite way to let off steam.). Remember your heart and mind are stronger than whatever is going on in your body!
    DebrinaD

Answer by DebrinaD at 2:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• To decorgame: Original poster here. The idea of low blood sugar is a very real possibility. I just had gastric bypass surgery in November and I know I'm not eating well. I can't tolerate any of my supplements and have not eaten much. I just can't keep it all down. I did make some pea soup (I know, yuck but high protein) after I posted and I feel a little better but not much. Thanks for the idea as well as to all the posters.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009