How many of you mommies

Had a vaginal birth after a c-section? Reason for my questioning is I had a vaginal birth with my 1st and a emergency c-section with my daughter 2 weeks ago. One day hubby and I would like to have a 3rd and possible 4th child but I look forward to another vaginal birth, I was wondering what the likelyhood of it was it all thanks in advance

JAJA_Steele

Asked by JAJA_Steele at 12:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• oh!! How frustrating!!!! >:-(
    I am so sorry. As a birth doula, I do hear stories like this all too often. I hope that you are able to find the information and support you need, hun. I am truly sorry.

Unfortunately, the usual environment for hospital birthing is just not great. Women are having to fight harder & harder for things they want. And in labor, while vulnerable, it's just not a good time for this! Interventions like that are for the convenience of the staff, not the best interest of the mom.

To best avoid this stuff, staying out of a hospital will help a mom have the best chance of VBAC success. Homebirth midwives aide moms the same ways they would in a birth center or hospital environment, only it's easier to facilitate her natural birth at home.

I have too much to say about this. lol! Stay strong, keep reading, and know that there are many options. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• What was the reason for this cesarean? The circumstances can affect future deliveries.
    Most women do "qualify" for VBACs, fortunately.
    (I can help with that.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• give your body LOTS of time to heal and it should be fine. I also heard the way the sewed you up effects it. But I know a girl who had a baby by c-section 12 1/2 months ago and just had a vaginal delivery!! so it is definately possible
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 1:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My first two babies where vaginal but my third was a c section. Now that I am having my fourth they are wanting to do another c section but my son is 19 months and I have just found out that I have a blood clotting disorder. But before I found that out they where planing to do another c section because where it hasn't been that long since I had my son but every doctor is different

lelandsmom6707

Answer by lelandsmom6707 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It varies on a case by case basis. Your scar, how well you healed, and how the pregnancy goes for you all play a part.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• ok here is what happend with my son I was in labor a total of 8 hours so when I hit the 12 hour mark this time I knew something wasn't right after 16 hours my doctor broke my water and my daughter had turned face up and couldnt proceed to move down any further so I was told I needed to get into the or well less than 10 minutes later I was there.

As far as the way I was sewn up I got the dissolvable stitches on the inside naturally and then staples on the outseide.

I am so sorry lelandsmom that you have to go through that
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yeah you can they say you jus have to be very careful cuz if there is to much stress during the birthing you could tear the tissue i think.. and wit each c section you have a less chance of healing as well.. but Im not sure I got my info off the Birthing shows on DHC and those shows are from like the 80s lol
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Your description of your labor sounds like a variation of normal. Certainly not any emergency. You are healing well & healthy now? Should be fine!

I highly recommend not hiring a surgeon for a normal delivery, though. Having a Normal Birth Specialist (midwife) attend you will give you a better chance at a normal delivery.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I had a midwife for my first birth and it was incredibly awesome, I just wanted that hope that I could have a vaginal delivery again lol
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• BTW I didn't dilate past a 5 in 17 hours
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 1:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2009