Bad mom

hey...when my son throws one of his temper tantrums...and just wont stop screaming...and im at my breaking point...i tell him that i love him...and then i go into the bathroom and wash my face with cold water...after bout 5 mins, when he stops screaming, I come out of the bathroom...And then i pick him up and tickle him...I guess my question is...Does it make me a bad mom cuz I leave my son and go hide in the bathroom...I go into the bathroom so that I dont hit that breaking point and hit my son...So am I a bad mom???????

babe9778

Asked by babe9778 at 1:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, you just need a vacation.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:08 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Nope! My husband and I have been wondering how to handle these. DD just started. While throwing a tantrum, she won't let me leave her. She wants me to hold her or at least stand by her while she screams. I am going to look into the brain development of an 18month old and see if I can find anything out. Hoping to find someway of helping her learn to control herself.

I have always been against spanking, yelling, or hitting. But there have been a couple of times this last week I was almost willing to throw out all my beliefs! I know there has to be a better way to handle these situations, but I have not figured it out yet.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No your doing everything your suppose to do.. Its better then getting so angry wit him and actually harming him
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Nope I don't think so. I think if you are listing to make sure that he isn't hurting himself. My son has takes to yelling at me and running to his room and throwing his fit there.
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 1:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I dont want to harm him...I love my son very much...that is why I go into the bathroom...i just dont know how to get him to stop the screaming temper tantrums...
    babe9778

Answer by babe9778 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I do that with my fiance sometimes haha. You are NOT a bad mom.
    calliesmommy08

Answer by calliesmommy08 at 2:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• dont be afraid to spank or even put him in time out this may sound bad but im sure u have heartd the old saying it takes a village to rais a child remember what we do now affects how they are when they are older i was so afraid to spank my son he does the same and i have learned that he craves the time out of even a spanking im only 20 and i remember back when i was 7 and i know i diod thinks just so i would get spanked it let me know that my mommy still cared to pay attention to me but then again im not the parent but remember kids crave time out or even spankings
    ONLY_MY_SON

Answer by ONLY_MY_SON at 2:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You know as a mom who goes through the same things with her daughter. I feel that you are doing the right thing because every mom needs a little break and to get away so that they don't hurt their self or their child. So I feel that you are definately doing the right thing.
    Ashleyh0388

Answer by Ashleyh0388 at 7:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'm glad to know I'm not the only mom who just has to step away sometimes. As long as I know my son is safe & can't get into anything dangerous, I think it's better for both of us if I step out of the room for a minute to collect myself.
    susanb1229

Answer by susanb1229 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2009