How do you wear a baby?

Please tell me how you women are wearing your babies who are over 6 months old. I don't know about yours but mine is almost 25lbs and 31 inches long. He's almost walking and there is no way he would go for it. So... those of you that are able, are you exceptionally strong or something? I tried it at around 3 months and felt like my back would break.

detroit.mommy

Asked by detroit.mommy at 1:13 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it's a gradual thing. i mean if you wear them from day one you just adjust to the weight, you know?
    i've worn my son since day one and he's 7 months now and around 20lbs; i don't have a problem wearing him in my sling.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 1:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My DD is 7mos and 17lbs, I always use the bjorn. I go grocery shopping with her on my tummy. She always wants me to hold her, if I don't she goes off. Its hard to console a baby and complete errands so its easier for me. I'm in pretty good shape but after an hour I need a break.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When my 1st was 6 mos., I noticed that I was postponing picking him up when he reached for me, and realized it was because he was getting heavy for me. I wasn't ABOUT to let that get between me and my affectionate mothering, so the next day I carried him for a lovely walk in some neighboring woods. I went on until my arms needed to put him down. So we sat on a rock for a little bit, then I HAD to carry him all the way back ! (Mind you, I did know about firmly tightening my abdomen so it would not strain my back, plus I used a few carrying positions while I hiked). Boy were my arms rubber when we got home ! But I carried on with usual daily tasks, and my arms got a great boost of strength. After that I never had a problem - in fact his younger brother was born when he was 18 mos old, and I frequently carried BOTH of them until they were about 4 & 5. Good luck !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• WOW he is big! My daughter is 8 months and only weighs 18lbs and 29"! But i know where you are coming from! I cant even hold her in a sling or the hangy kind for more than like 15 mins before my back is killing me! i make my husband wear it so he can get a sence on what being pregnant feels like LOL!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 2:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It depends on what you are wearing your baby in. I love my ring sling, I still will carry my almost 40lb 2.5 year old in it when his legs get tiered. Some kids need the closeness more than others too.
    mylilredheadboy

Answer by mylilredheadboy at 11:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• wow, how can you hold him without a sling?? :)) LOL :) Seriously... Slings help reduce the strain on your back while meeting your baby's needs to be held.
    It's not like I make my one and a half year old sit in my sling all the time just because I like the idea. No, she only goes in there when she wants to be held. And I can't even imagine just holding her! That would totally KILL my back.. So your question back at you - are you exceptionally strong or something? Because I can't even imagine holding my big girlie without the help of a sling for longer than 3 minutes!! :))

Do you still want to babywear? My advise would be get help. Babywearing does not hurt if done correctly. If you have back issues - use something that spreads the weight over both shoulders..
    Babywearing is not a thing to do if you have too much time on your hands and like to suffer. Babywearing is a lifesaver for an active mom!

go_romanovs

Answer by go_romanovs at 4:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009