I need some SERIOUS help! I have this friend and she really needs help, really its a friend NOT me, she is having really bad issues lately with life in general

And she has some how got herself into cutting. She told me this March of last year. I thought it was better but I just found out tonight first hand it is not. It was so hard for me to see and I tried to be the best friend that i could to her. She is getting help from a counseler but I think she needs more. What can I do? She has a 5 year old at home with her. She never lets her see it and she knows nothing. My friend locks herself in the bathroom when she is asleep if she feels it "needs" to be done. She just keeps telling me i dont understand when i tell her to just call me and I dont care what time it is. She also says she cant put that on me, and I tell her i want her to I would rather her talk to me than hurt herself! What can I do? She is afraid to go to a "hospital" for help because she cant miss the time off work, or they will loose their house. Her hubby works nights. HELP! I love her and will not burry a friend!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• I learned with my best friend who was suicidal, the best thing to do when they are down is to NOT TALK, LISTEN. They need someone who they can vent to. I know it's incredibly hard to see them in so much pain, but you don't want her to turn away from you. My BFF turned away from everyone else because she felt they were talking down to her, and didn't want to listen or try to understand. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:14 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think they have a special rehab for that kinda stuff well at least I know theres one down here.. its where people wit eating disorders go and stuff like that...
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 1:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know I have told her she needs to go there, but she cant afford to loose the money or they loose the house. I told her i would give her every credit card i own to put bills on if that means she gets the help she needs. I just dont know what i can do for her. She tells me i am talking down to her when really i am just trying to help. We had a HUGH blow out tonight because of it. She called at 11:30pm and i left my house right away to get to her (about 15mins away) and was there til 1:30 talking til i was blue in the face. Finally she said maybe you should just leave and i did. I called to make sure she was ok and wasnt going to do it again. But i just feel like i can do something more. What am i not understanding?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Well the money wont matter when she is dead, will it. She really needs to focus on getting help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• She's in denial. Talk to her husband. DON'T DELAY. If you know who he counselor is, talk to that person too.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• definately talk to her husband, her counselor. u need help with this one. she will b angry with u so b prepared for that. this is a serious disorder to have and difficult to treat. she thinks she is handling her life fine because this is a release for her when she cuts herself. sh feels better for the moment. i wont b surprised if the 5 yr old knows. she cant b very patient with her. it is a dangerous situation that u already recognizeso do what u can. her husband might know too and just feels as helpless as u do. some of these problems need an intervention to get help. ck the front of your phone book and c what your local mental health clinic can offer. gl
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• A counselor isn't enough...she needs a psychotherapist, and may need to go to a rehab center if she doesn't get it under control. It's an addiction for some, and a release for others. Talk to her husband, and come up with a plan. This is a serious situation, and she needs help NOW whether she can admit that or not.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I used to do that. It was horrible. I just was hurting so bad and couldn't let my feelings out other than to do that to myself. I got on depakote which made me balloon over 100 pounds more than I should have been. It was horrible. I had to just take myself off of it but she needs to find a doctor to help her through this. A counselor too.

I hope she gets the help she needs. She's hurting. I know how she feels.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Try good Reasoning.. Explain all the Reasons & gifts she has in her Life! Make her See A rainbow.. no matter all the dark clouds! Tell her all the people that loves her Like yourself... Tell her about the impact she has on her child! How that child needs her.. How that child could be just like her... We need help! Many go without.. I know hurting & feeling Unloved & uncared for & feeling like there is no way out.... We need that Extra Care, Shoulder, love & tears tro be wiped away!! Best of Luck to all involved!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 10:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2009