stomach flu

my 15 month old has a stomach flu and is on a clear fluids diet because he throws everything else up, i took him to the hospital... they didnt help much. its been 4 days now almost . he has seem to have lost so much weight! he has an on and off low fever, but b/c he hasn't been able 2 keep anything down, tylenol don't seem 2 be a good idea, what can i do? it killls me to see my baby his way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• have you tried feeding him yogurts crakers and noodle soup it might work buy some flu medican and 15 after give him food it might help him the medican will help calm his tummy enough to get food thats what i did with my baby boy oh get a flu shot from his doc asap that will also work
    ONLY_MY_SON

Answer by ONLY_MY_SON at 2:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Are you giving him pedialyte?? Sometimes freezing into icepops or even cubes can be soothing. Maybe pain white rice. I don't know how well he eats but it calms my stomach. I'm so sorry I wish I could be more helpful.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Don't give fluids until it's been at least 2 hours since last throwing up. Then just small sips of juice/gatorade/pedialyte. Liquid is the most important for hydration. Even pregnant women they say it's ok not to eat for a few days as long as there is no deyhdration.

Once it seems he can tolerate fluids, which should happen soon since it's been 4 days, then start him off on little amounts of food. BRAT diet, Banana, Rice, Applesauce, toast...no greasy heavy food.

If he is still vomitting non stop tomorrow and it's been 5 days request a suppository from the pedi. They should be able to do it over the phone, especially if you say he has already been ok'd at the er. I think by tomorrow though things should start to ease up. Usually 3-5 days is what I would expect for stomach flu, then of course probably weak after that for a few more days.

I
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Just in case, I think the first person misunderstood you, but there is no flu shot for the stomach flu. They sound similiar but are two different things. Flu is respiratory, high fever etc...can cause some stomach upsets, but clearly your son has a "virus."

Also wanted to add good call on not giving him tylenol. It would upset his stomach further and it's un-necessary for a low grade fever. Fevers are bodies natural defense system.

If things do not ease up and it appears he is going down hill always take him in too again. There is no magic cure for a stomach virus, but just in case for dehydration etc...
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wait for 2 hours after he vomits...give NOTHING.

After he has gone for 2 hours without vomiting, give him a couple ounces of WATER. If he can go for 10minutes keeping it down, give a couple more ounces. (WATER ONLY) If he keeps that down for 10mintues, then give about 4 ounces and wait for 20 minutes...then 4 more. If all of that has stayed down at the end of an hour (from beginning of the process) then let him have a glass of water making sure he drinks slowly...and let him have water as he wants it. WATER ONLY.

When he has gone for 6 hours without vomiting, then offer some bland easy food....a piece of bread or something along those lines. The key is to let the stomach rest after vomiting. If at any time during this process he vomits, start over. But only give water...the sugar in juice, pedialyte and gatorade can upset a stomach and if he has diarrhea, make that much worse.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• (really getting sick of the limitations here)

The BRAT diet is great for diarrhea but will do nothing for vomiting. The key is to get the vomiting under control first.....THEN work on bulking up the stools.

Watch him for dehydration....the eyes should be moist, tears when he cries, his mouth should be moist...if he is becoming dehydrated take him to the ER and/or call your pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue