Natural remedy to help my 4 year old go to sleep ! help!!

she has moderate autism
sensory seeking

it is like she has drank a pot of coffee all the time!

lately she is unable to calm down to fall asleep
start bedtime stuff at 8
she is up now - it is 12:20!!

when i am in bed with her reading books, seems like she is going to tip over to sleep, a few minutes later she sits up - WIDE AWAKE like she had slept a full night and ready to go

this has been going on for past month or more
this is killing me
i get sleepy putting her down, usually will fall alseep- then she pops up and we start all over again- 4 hours of this, when she FINALLY goes to sleep, i have am so fatigued i am up for hours
i get 5 hours on a good night, usually less than 4

of course naps are gone long long ago

i have her (and myself0 on feingold elimination diet - it takes the worst of the worst chemicals out of diet- so it is not something bad she is eating

hoping someone has suggestion of a food or supplement that i can add that will help calm in evenings so she can go to sleep, sleep issues common with sensory seeking autism
not so keen on melotonein (sp?) heard it can cause depression - she is four- i would not think to add this-how would i know if she was depressed? heard celery juice?? do not know where i would find it, but willing to ship it from the ends of the earth if it will help calm her

anyone got anything for me to look into

*please no warm milk suggestions - this is way more restless than warm milk
and she does not drink cows milk anyway= taking out cows milk 2 yrs ago improved her speech huge and balanced her gut.

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 1:29 AM on Jan. 22, 2012 in General Parenting

• classical music
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 2:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• I really can't give any advice on holistic remedies that might be helpful, but perhaps some heavy exercise in the evening before bedtime to help wear her out? Or some soft music that can be the same song every night as a way to block out other stimuli and also serve as a bedtime cue?
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• How long have you been on that elimination diet? I have to wonder whether IT is the cause of your woes. The only elimination items recommended for my autistic son were dairy and gluten.

Chamomile is a natural sleep aid, in tea... but you may have a hard time getting her to take that. Melatonin really is the only other way to go. I would discuss her sleeplessness with the doc.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• I would not use melatonin; it is a hormone.

Better options, are chamomile tea, sleep time tea (celestial seasonings), Rescue Remedy for Kids (though I gave my daughter the regular version), and valerian (this is hops, the grain used to make beer)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• you could also try some magnesium. It has worked wonders for my autistic son.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• Calms Forte for kids...it's a homeopathic remedy.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:33 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

here is the link

http://www.feingold.org/overview.php

takes out these chemicals - that is GOOD for any human being - NOT eating this is not cause

• Artificial (synthetic) coloring

• Artificial (synthetic) flavoring

• Aspartame (Nutrasweet, an artificial sweetener)

• Artificial (synthetic) preservatives BHA, BHT, TBHQ

fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• Chamomile - will try

you could also try some magnesium- i do use in her bath (heard this was good for spectrum kids too- although do not remmber the medical reasonings- i still use it in bath) do you use in other form?

Calms Forte for kids...it's a homeopathic remedy. - never heard of, will look into-thanks
    Rescue Remedy for Kids - never heard of, will look into-thanks
    valerian -never heard of, will look into-thanks
    fiatpax

Comment by fiatpax (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Jan. 22, 2012

• fiatpax

I give it to him two different ways.

In the AM he gets a product called Kids Calm Multi. It is a multivitamin that contains magnesium and vitamin B6 as well as other vitamins that kids need. I also give him it in a drink after school and before bed. Now my son is older (almost 13) and needs more magnesium than your daughter will. The powder I give is called Calm and is made from the same maker as the Kids Calm Multi. I purchase both at a vitamin store.

Magnesium helps with so many things and it is thought that magnesium deficiency is wide spread in all people. It has really helped keep him calm and more focused.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2012