medications for ADHD child?

Are there any organic supplements a child with ADHD could take to stay away from prescription meds? I'm scared to start my 9 yr old on meds for this but his behavior is out of control. He needs something but I'm not sure what to do for him. I'm not sure I trust the mental health community with this or that they are providing us with enough information on long term effects of meds.

shrinkydink68

Asked by shrinkydink68 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I'm guessing valium is out of the question, huh? lol

Answer by admckenzie at 1:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My daughter is 10 and we've tried alot of the ADHD meds with not alot of sucess. We just resently start her on Omega 3-6-9(fish oil) and started going to new clinic her in the Woodlands. Also DHA is suppose to help.
    Busymom2293

Answer by Busymom2293 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• My daughter is 10 years old--she takes Adderall for her ADHD--if you are worried about the mental health community--you are not seeing the right doctors. Find a doctor that you are comfortable with---then you will be comfortable with whatever medication he or she prescribes. If not, thats what 2nd opinions are for!
    kgcmomma

Answer by kgcmomma at 12:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Study Indicates Omega-3 Supplements Rapidly Eliminate ADD, ADHD ...
    Aug 15, 2007 ... Organic, Naturally Occurring Vitamins & Supplements ... "What this study shows is that every child with ADD, bipolar or any other mood ...
    www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_6641.cfm
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2008