What to do

I am going back to school this fall and can't decide between social work, nursing or something totally different. Nurses make good $$$, but I couldn't stand to have to work on a tiny baby that was in bad shape. I could be done w/ SW in 2 years, but you almost have to have a masters for a good paying job. I'm 35 I need to grow up. What should I major in?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 3:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nursing is the job that never has cut backs. In fact, the healthcare industry can't keep up with the demand for nurses! You don't have to work with babies, there are plenty of other hospital departments or specialties you can look into.
    Do a search of each job type for your area and see which one is in high demand right now. I guarantee you are going to find it is nurses. Especially if you check the hospital website jobs listings. Or any medical jobs listings in your area.
    Money isn't what it is all about, either, although it helps in these hard times. It is job security in this hard economy that matters, and your passion for your career, too.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:42 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Oh dear, I am 39 and struggling about even going to college for the first time!, I don't know what state you are in but in California, the good ol' terminator is cutting all state jobs. Nursing is good, you could always work with people that you feel comfortable with, it could be babies', Geriatrics, Radiology, emergency, LVN, General, etc. You don't have to neccessarily work neo-natal. I work at an elementary school as a campus aide and social workers are over-worked, overwhelmed to the point of stupidity and never see the end result of their work. They simply go throught the motions of shifting the kid to where they fit for the next few months. Good luck.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:18 AM on Jan. 15, 2009