how do I get my 2 year old to stay in her bed at night

My daughter gets up 3 or 4 times a night and wants to sleep with me but I put her back in bed. She doesn't let up and I am getting no sleep!

jesikasmom09

Asked by jesikasmom09 at 3:34 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if she doesnt sleep in her crib anymore, then u should get this baby bed back in her room. or if she still is in her baby bed then make sure she doesnt get the staves out (to get out of the bed).

other than that.. there is not much you can do. :-/ maybe lock her door, but thats something i would never do.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 3:46 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You can try having a nightly ritual, like brushing her teeth, reading a book and tucking her in. Do this every night consistently and eventually it will be a routine that prepares her for sleep. She may even look forward to going to bed. If she gets up after you tuck her in just keep putting her back in bed and leave the room....and be patient. Don't make a fuss and don't give in. If you give in she will learn that crying longer or louder will get her what she wants. Once she realizes you will just put her back EVERY time she will eventually stay there. Each night the number of times you have to put her back in bed or the amount and length of time she cries or complains will lessen.
    FlyMom07

Answer by FlyMom07 at 4:05 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'll second FlyMom07. That is excelly the routine that I use with my dd. By 7:30pm we change into night clothes, brush teeth, and read a book-twice. Then one of us tuck her in, at 8pm. When we started this, she got out of bed almost ten times and had a huge fit. But each night it did get less and less. Last night she didn't even get back out of bed! Yea!!
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 8:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Continue what you are doing...she WILL finally stay in bed, but it may take a while.

What about shutting her door? A baby gate? (something to keep her in her room)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I put her back in her bed when she gets up, but her room is connected to our room. The only barrier is a expandable door. I started making a bed on the floor thinking she would not like it, but she sleeps there too! I tell her if she gets up she has to sleep on the floor, and I started moving it towards her room.

I am so frustrated, help!
    jesikasmom09

Answer by jesikasmom09 at 4:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2009