• In the Spotlight:

too much sleep?

Can your baby sleep too much? Lately my 7 week old can't seem to stay awake, she nurses, gets a clean diaper and is back off to sleep in no time. I dont think she was up for more then 3 hours yesterday. And she will sleep 5 or 6 hours at a shot. Is that normal? Before she would always stay up and play for awhile, if i try to keep her awake she gets mad and cranky. Do they tend to sleep longer if they are growing or is that a sign she might be catching a bug. First time mom so everything new.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think it just means she is tired. shes only 7 weeks old!
    let her sleep.
    she wouldnt be sleeping if she didnt need it for whatever reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I do let her sleep, I only wake her to eat. She never slept like this before. She would sleep through the night and then have a good afternoon nap then be ready to play again until bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i wasnt meaning you wake her up sorry if it seemed like that.
    but really i dont think its anything to worry about at all shes still really new :) congrats
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• our DD was the same.

i read it somewhere that newborns can sleep up to 22hours/ day...

enjoy it, as long as it lasts ;) because there will come the day when you will miss the long sleep of your little munchkin.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• newborns sleep alllll the time. my son is just now 10 weeks and should still be sleeping almost 14 hours a day.....doesn't usually. I love it when he's awake! but be prepared...those silent moments are soon to be over!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• its normal for babys to sleep long hours at a time and only to wake up to eat and be changed, i use to have to wake my daughter up to feed her and change her, unfortenitly my son wasnt as easy as my daughter. but when i asked my doctor about it because she was sleeping alot , he said it was normal and that while they sleep it helps their brain to devlope even with growth spurts kids sleep alot when my daughter had turned 5months old all she wanted to do for a few days was to sleep, so its normal :)
    misskitty1987

Answer by misskitty1987 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think my kids did the same about that age because they also were going through a growth spurt. They ate and slept, and that was about it for a week or so. then all of a sudden, they didn't look like newborns anymore. Made my kind of sad.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2009