Lactating and being sick

I'm currently lactating, not actually breastfeeding because my baby won't take it anymore, so I'm pumping and freezing it. I've got a cold, and my DD has one too, but she's almost over it. Do I need to throw out the milk I pump while I'm sick so that she doesn't get sick again? Or is it safe for later?

kittythief

Asked by kittythief at 4:16 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• m.rob...
    i would pump it and throw it away...

but almost every disease... like cold flu ect are contagious 3 days before you actually get it. if you gave her the milk from then already.. then there is no need to throw the new milk away.

other than that.. a little cold will make immune system stronger.

so its all up to you.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• NO. your cold does not pass to your baby that way. when my baby was in the NICU I learned all about breastfeeding and it says you should still breastfeed/pump and save if you're sick. no matter what breastfeeding is always the best for baby. good luck! feel better!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 5:20 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• NOOOO! It will give her anti-bodies that you have produced, when I was BFing I would intentionally get sick with what my daughter had(even though it was only twice lol) so I could produce anti-bodies to help her get over her sickness quicker!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If your baby has been getting your breast milk from when you were sick, then she has gotten the antibodies from you for whatever you were sick with. Your cold shouldn't pass to your baby through your milk, but even if it were to pass to her, she probably wouldn't get very sick at all.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:24 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No way!!! It will help her fight off her cold.Don't throw it out.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• As the other ladies have said absolutely do not throw it away but don't freeze it either. You should be using your 'sick' milk now for baby to help baby get over whatever the two of you have much quicker and easier. I hope you both feel better soon!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:04 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Somehow I ended up taking the breastfeeding class twice at Balboa (a story all its own), however, both times the instructor made and emphasized the point that the belief that you should not breastfeed/give your child the breastmilk you produced while you are sick is of the old school of thought. They now believe that it is okay because there are antibodies that your body was producing in the milk and therefore not putting your child at risk of getting sick. If you are still wary of it and want to ask for yourself, you can Google NMCSD and should be able to easily find their "Warmline" phone number which I believe is staffed at all hours. Hope this helps!
    momoGav

Answer by momoGav at 3:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No. Milk is made for babies to have, if they mom is sick or not.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2009