How do I get my son to not only stay in his toddler bed, but in his room?

My son just turned 2. Yesterday he climbed out of his crib, so we converted it to a toddler bed. Since this happened he threw an absolute fit (I can count on one hand the number of times he's cried going to bed, he's really been an easy kid.) and came out into the hallway. We had to install a baby gate in our hallway that blocks him off from the stairs. He just scales that as well. We're very concerned because he just goes down the stairs by himself. We can't use the gates that have diamond shapes (climbed over at 14 months), tension mounted gates get pushed over and now mesh gates can be scaled. I don't want to be mean to my son, but I don't want him falling down the stairs/hurting himself. We tried putting the knob lock (baby proof handle) on his door, but he managed to rip it off. At this point, it's more about his safety then it is being nice. I tried just putting him back in his room to no avail.

Pregowithsecond

Asked by Pregowithsecond at 4:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is the same way. He climbed out of his crib at 12 months, and we moved shortly after, but now he won't stay in his toddler bed....he plays on it and puts his animals to bed, but doesn't want to sleep in his bed.

We may have to do the 'super nanny' thing where you just keep putting him in his bed and sitting by the door till he goes to sleep or something...I don't know....good luck!
    mkbugs

Answer by mkbugs at 12:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• As for the bed, my sons all HATED their converted cribs. We tried with each one and taking the sides off just freaked them out!

Put them in a regular bed and they went right to sleep! go figure.

Well, except the youngest...put him back, put him back, put him back, put him back,....took about a week but he did finally stay in bed! It's tiring, but they eventually get tired, too.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• continued because of the STUPID character limit

Hmmm....gates...your son's a brute!! (I have one of those, too!!) I've heard people recommend stacking gates in the doorway...but if he's climbing that well, I"d be afraid he'd scale that too...and it's along way to fall down the other side.

You may be looking at an eye hook on the outside of the door....or a locking handle. Yeah, yeah, people "don't lock your child in a room" blah, blah, blah, (directed towards certain readers) but when it comes to a safety issue....whatever.

It would only be temporary...until he figures out he's "stuck" in his room. Right now, it's kind of about new freedom...and exploring.
    TiccledBlue

• I dont know what gates youve tried. We cant use the diamond shaped ones here either bc DD will climb them. We ended up getting this one and it works like a charm!-pricey but worth it!!!
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2632194
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I just put him in his room for nap time and sat outside his door. Everytime he'd open it, I'd say "Jack Dylan, please close your door." Well, it took about an hour and he finally stopped crying and fell asleep in front of the door. I'm very lucky that I'm able to stay at home with him, but I hope this doesn't take too long. I'm 8 months pregnant and it's a little uncomfortable:) I just took a book, pillow and blanket so that I could change positions. I'm hoping he realizes that I am more stubborn than he is.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 2:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009