why do other moms feel the need...

to belittle other mothers for opting for repeat c-sections? I'm tired of moms (both on CafeMom and in person) assuming that because I'm going in for c-section number four that I'm unaware of VBACs (vaginal birth after cesarean)! Sometimes, VBACs aren't an option for mothers. Also, VBACs can be just as dangerous, if not more so, for mothers.. especially mothers such as myself, who have uterine linings that are to thin to risk VBAC due to rupture. Just because a soon-to-be mommy and her doctor have made the very personal decision about having a repeat c-section does not mean she's not educated, is being bullied, or is being selfish. It could just mean that she's researched her options and chose the best one for her and her unborn child!

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 4:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I agree with you. Although I had my son vaginally, I think if you make an INFORMED decision, not just "I don't want to tear" one, then you are fine. I had a friend who wanted a c-section because she didn't want to stretch. To me, that's totally wrong. If it's medically necessary then by all means, go for it! If my doctor said that I'd have to have a c-section, I would take his advice. After all he is the expert. There are a reason for precautions. Good luck with your new baby!
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 5:00 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Well, most women have not looked at their options. We, as a culture, have forgotten that c-sections are major surgeries with MAJOR risks for mom and baby. Our 30% c-section rate proves that fact. And for most moms - the majority, honestly - VBAC is a safer option. The research is sound. I know I will always encourage a mother to choose VBAC, and I'm honest enough to state that my heart sinks when I hear about ERC. Mothers and babies deserve the safest, most gentle births available.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:02 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• the research is in fact not sound... several years ago, most doctors encouraged women to try VBACs... and the risk of uterine rupture in normal deliveries was about 1 in 100... if the labor wasn't augmented by pitocin or other labor inducing drugs. The risk rises for each previous c-section, plus, women must also take into consideration the condition of her uterus (the thickness) as well as what kind of scar she has. This doesn't mean that no women should have VBACs, but if you have made an informed decision, no one needs to go around spouting off that VBACs are the safer option... because they might not be!
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 5:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i think its your body do what you want.. i dont know why the people think that they can change sum one they dont even know into thinking their way... it bugs me too... and they are rude about it too
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 5:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I noticed that the poster above also failed to mention that because ACOG does not promote/recommend VBAC's that most hospitals will not allowed them to be preformed within the facility.

I think they do it in yet another attempt to one up other mothers.

Personally I think it is pathetic.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

•  Honey, God bless you for bringing four beautiful beings into this world , know matter how you do it!

jblueeyes228

Answer by jblueeyes228 at 6:37 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear that people are doing that!!! My mom had four C-secs, and I had never heard about VBAC until recently! Any how, who cares as long as the baby is healthy, it's not like it's their body! You know whats right and wrong, I say forget all those negative people!

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 7:36 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Because people are judgmental and mean and when they have their own opinion about something no one can change it. That is human nature. Thank goodness I am not so judgmental of people and what they are going through or have gone through. This forum is nasty and mean spirited. I came here for fun and information only to get disappointed. Oh well. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with you honey. So many moms beat up other moms for everything: c-sections, bottle feeding, using a pacifier, etc. and it isn't their place to do so. I'm all for women opting for a VBAC if it's a good option for them, but as you said, for some women it isn't an option. You just focus on keeping you and your baby healthy and having a safe delivery and ignore the women who try to make you feel bad.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:32 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i wouldnt worry about what other people are saying you are doing what you feel is right for you and your unborn baby and also what is right for the kids you have at home last this they need is for there mommy too die trying a natural birth so do what you feel is right for you don't listen to those who have no clue what you have gone threw
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Jan. 15, 2009