Help with potty training 3yr old boy

my son is 3 we bought him a potty chair. I put him on it 5xs a day and he looks at me like im from outer space lol.. Daddy takes him in to the BR in the morning and sits him on it while he goes lol should that help some or what. my mother-in-law keeps telling me when Joel was 2 he was fully trained. she dont get it that landon and joel are two diffrent ppl... so any tips?? thx

pinkanfgrl

Asked by pinkanfgrl at 6:01 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 1) Ignore your MIL...all kids are different and not all potty train at the same rate.

2) Do you have a rewards system? Might want to try that along with other positive re-enforcement. When we were potty training the boys we always made HUGE deals out of them going to the bathroom....it seemed to help.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 6:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If all else fails, just let it got for a week or two and try again. Both my son and daughter did not fully train until THEY were ready. Good luck!!
    Janette81

Answer by Janette81 at 6:09 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• ya we do that he knows we bought a bag of candy and he asks for one we keep telling him go potty first!!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 6:11 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Boys are harder. Have you tried skipping the baby potty/seat and just sitting him on the big one facing backwards? So, he's facing the tank? This really worked well with both my kids and they don't pee all over the floor. It works for poop too and eliminates the extra step and cleaning of the potty chair. To be honest, I tried M & M's and a sticker chart and nothing was motivating but it eventually worked. Making too much of it was a mistake. Keeping it casual for us, was better. But they weren't totally trained until 4.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009