potty mouth help lol!!

my son now says WTF WTH OMG and s***. I have NO CLUE where he gets it but in front of my gram he said WTF are you doing... I THOUGHT I WAS GOING TO DIE... he also said to the in-laws WTH why not.

pinkanfgrl

Asked by pinkanfgrl at 6:07 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You can ignore him when he says bad words. Just pretend like he didn't say it. And replace it with a silly saying, something that will make him laugh. Like I hate when my little 3yo girl says OMG. So I replace it will other silly words, like Oh My Barnacles, and start laughing, she will laugh to and since I got attention she will replace the word the same way next time. Or just keep replacing it with something till you and him like how it sounds. He will use those words instead to get attention from you. Like you can say What the crappie, What in the squirell or whatever you like, he will soon pick up on he is getting no attention from saying those bad words and start using funny silly frases instead. Good Luck
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 6:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ask him where he heard the words - TV, school, family, whatever, and handle it at the source! He's repeating what he hears, and he's checking for reactions to it. Another option besides what lovinmom has is to tell him those are garbage words and to "spit" them out and put them in the garbage. Explain WHY you don't allow these words? Talk to him about them and how they make you feel when you hear them.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Pretty normal to get and use words. He just hasn't learned the context in which he is supposed to use or not use them. Most kids, by the time they are in preschool, know ALL the profane words. There was actually a study done on this. If your children socialize at all, are not being raised in a cave, they know some profanity and when to apply it. What they didn't learn is that socially it is only okay is some circumstances. Like hitting a toe on a bed. Shit! That hurts. Or Fuck! I banged my elbow. I always explained to children that there is a time and place for everything. Even words. Profanity is not okay in school or church. Not okay at home in front of mom or dad. Hanging out with a friend and you let one loose - well it can be funny, socially acceptable, and experimenting with language and its power. cont...

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• cont..But I would also caution kids. That even though you are on the bus or in the bathroom there is always a tattle tell around ready to get you into trouble. You got to rather expect it. So if you didn't use caution or prudence - you deserve the consequence. Most kids know all adults use a few bad words, or more in some cases. They do catch on that those are words that are like an initiation into a club. You can only use them at specific times and somehow magically when you are an adult it is okay. Do give a consequence when the words are used. But make sure he understands first that is one of the "bad" words. Then if he uses it again lay down the hammer. Just kidding. I'm rater a softy. But I still would do a consequence.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If he is saying it to get attention from you and others, then take away his audience. He is continuing to say these things because he probably gets alot of attention from you.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009