what to do?

ok so we moved in this house a year ago. we love it (more the location)it is in the country. it has a single floor plan which i love now that the baby is walking and i don't have to worry about steps,woodstove which is great (except for the dust all the time) but the house needs alot of work. especially the bathroom, but we never hear from the owners we moved in and it was like they disappeared. i mail the rent in every month and that is it and i have tried to contact them with no luck. now my question is should we make the changes or no? i mean we rent and i don't want to put money in this house fix it up and have them decide they don't want us here. or get mad cuz we made the changes or find the changes bettered the house and decide to sell out from under us. what would you do?

jodi205

Asked by jodi205 at 7:15 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't make any changes until I talked it over with the owners! You could even try to make arrangements with them, like, I will pay for fixing the bathroom up nice, I will save the reciepts, and take that off my rent. Or something like that. I wouldn't just fix it up to have them sell, or rent it for a higher price to someone else. So definately check with them first. They may even be open to a rent to buy situation if you love the house that much and are wanting to fix it up and all. Just some suggestions to think on.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i would keep trying to get ahold of them and even write them a note telling them that the house needs fixed you will do it with the rent money
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:19 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would say that unless you can talk to the owners I would not make any changes. Especially something like the bath room. I would try to contact them again and let them know that the bathroom needs to be fixed.

If you can not get a hold of them I would say you either have to live with things for now or start looking for another place.

I guess my only question would be is how bad is it. Is it livable or not?

If I were you I would not put the money into the place with out talking to the owners first.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i have thought about that wendy and good morning but i want to sit down and talk to them and tell them the changes that need done and what we want to do so it is all understood and it ends up not biting me in the ass. but i cant reach them by phone. the bathroom is a disgrace. the tub and the toilet are blue. yep i said blue when is the last time you saw a blue bath or toilet lol the carpet is stained and disgusting and the floor underneath is rotting. it needs to be fixed soon
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:23 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• dang if you cant get ahold of them then i would do what cornflakes said look for another place you dont need you and ur daughter falling through the bathroom floor and getting seriously hurt
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:25 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• cornflake it is liviable i mean there are no dangers in the house. but it needs a fixin. lol i don't want to move this place is great and i love the country setting especailly for the baby it took us almost ten years to find this place. we have always wanted in the country and it is hard to find around here. i just want to make the cosmetic updates.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• oh and good morning to you to
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:26 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• no wendy it is not like totally rotting out. it is like around the tub where the carpet seam and the tub meet.it would be such an easy fix. its just from people over the years getting out of the tub and shower soak and wet and not caring. like i said there are no dangerous things that need fixed mostly just cosmetic
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• oh ok
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:29 AM on Jan. 15, 2009