paci?

i was wondering what a good time is to take my 2 month daughter off the paci... shes very attached to it and im worried about her teeth in the future.

iloveshealyn

Asked by iloveshealyn at 7:27 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son broke himself from it when he got his first two teeth at four months she might break herself
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would say no later than a year old. By then they are able to self-soothe. However, if you are worried about her being too attached to the paci by then you may want to consider weaning her off of it around 6 months but my son had no problem giving up his paci at 1. I think it is when you wait until 2 or 3 then it becomes a major problem.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• She still has a sucking reflex at 2 months old. Their need for sucking won't completely disappear until about 6 months old. Some kids break themselves of the pacifier before that, but if she still wants it you shouldn't take it away until 6 months.
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 8:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Also, unless she has her pacifier way past 1 year, there is nothing to worry about with her teeth. Especially since she doesnt have any yet!! When I was a kid I had my pacifier until I was 2 when they finally took it away and I have beautiful teeth, perfectly straight and never needed braces. Teeth getting messed up using comes from thumb sucking because they do that longer and you cant take away their thumb!
    IsaiahsMommy515

Answer by IsaiahsMommy515 at 8:47 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Well if she doesn't have teeth I wouldn't worry yet... and they can be good for teething so I'd wait awhile yet... I haven't decided when I'm breaking my daughter... shes almost 7 months... and I'm thinking a year for both the nuk and bottle... possibly 10 months old for nuk... we'll see :) I'm not putting a for sure date on it.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 8:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If you are using a NUK orthodontic pacifier, then her teeth should not be affected. My son took his paci till he was a year old and his teeth are just fine. If she really wants something to suck on and you take her paci away, she may go to her thumb which will be harder to break her from later and can effect her teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I do not recomend taking your 2mos old off the pacifier. Recent studys have shown that the pacifier reduces the risk of sids....2 mos old is very young and sucking is very soothing. The recomended age from my pediatrician to brake the habbit was one! GOOD LUCK
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thumb sucking isn't a problem unless they do it incessantly- my 5 yo still sucks for comfort ( as she falls asleep usually) her teeth are fine. We never used pacis because we breastfed and they interfere with natural sucking and can derail the whole process. I would listen to your instincts after you have done your research and do what seems right for you and your family.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 12:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2009