Do you buy condoms for a 14year old (15 in April)?

My 14 almost 15 year old asked my husband ( his step dad) to buy him condoms. They have had many conversations about sex before. Some that I'd known about others that my husband told me about but not my son. We are thrilled he chooses to talk to his step dad and don't want to betray the confidence by teling him I hear everything any ways but I want to yell...." are you nuts...". My husband did in the end buy them and told him to be care and to think before he does anything with them because there is more to loose than just his virginity...

sansdoubt

Asked by sansdoubt at 7:41 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• On one hand, I want to say no, I would never buy my son condoms. Or a daughter either, if I had one. On the other hand, though, it's clear he's going to do what he wants (of course, he could just be wanting to have them just in case), so it's better he be safe about it. The fact that he felt comfortable enough to come to your hubby is a very good thing, it shows he's listened to their talks and taken them to heart. The lines of communication are open, you and your hubby need to make sure they stay that way. I think your hubby did what he thought was best, and that's really all any parent can do.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I might. I know this sounds strange, but if he was a girl would you put him on birth control? I do not know if I would buy them, but I know we would talk about it and I would want my children to protect themselves.

I believe that the best I can do is teach my children and hope that in the end they make the right choices. You can not be with him all the time. He is coming to you and talking to you so if he decided to have sex then I am sure he will come to you and talk about that. He is his own person, so in the end it his really his decision.

Sorry if I was not more understanding I just wanted you to know that I think you are lucky because he does talk to you and you know what is going on his life. He trust that he can come to you and that is a very special gift these days.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It's better to be safe than sorry! But I would definantly have a long talk about the dangers of unprotected sex (disease and pregnancy) But I would be very proud of him for having the guts to talk to someone about it!
    CherylLynn

Answer by CherylLynn at 7:55 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ugh, that is so scary! My son is only 16 months and I already worry about having those talks with him. But as much as you might not like to think about him having sex at this age, you two should be proud of the fact that you have been open enough with your son for him to feel comfortable enough to come talk to his step dad. And that he has heard enough to be careful and use protection. And hopefully, he just wants to keep one in his wallet "just in case"! But seriously, as long as he and his step dad are this open, make sure he also knows how to properly use it (if you DH doesn't want to demonstrate, there are complete directions in the package-just make sure he reads them!) and that he is aware of expiration dates and what can make them go bad faster, like leaving it in a wallet. Again, Mama, be proud that you have been so open with your teenager, it takes alot of guts for parents to be able to talk to kids about sex!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If he's asking for them buy them. He may only want to look cool having one in his wallet. But why chance it. I'd rather be a mother who buys her son condoms then a 43 year old grandmother.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:10 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I THINK IT IS A GOOD IDEA TO GET HIM SOME, HE IS SMART ENOUGH TO REALIZE HE MIGHT NEED THEM. BUT DON'T FRET, THE FIRST TIME I FOUND A CONDOM IN MY THEN 16 YEAR OLD SON'S WALLET, I FREAKED OUT AND WENT TO HUBBY WITH IT, THESE WERE HIS WORDS "HUN, DON'T WORRY I HAD ONE OF THOSE IN MY WALLET TOO FOR MANY MANY YEARS AND DIDN'T GET TO USE THEM TILL MUCH LATER. IT IS A FRIGHTING THOUGHT BUT ONE REALISTIC ONE, TEENS ARE THE WORST AGE, BUT YOURS IS A SMART ONE!"

Answer by older at 9:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would. It's better to buy him condom's then end up having him be a daddy at 14 yrs old.
    kaysha

Answer by kaysha at 10:54 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I would buy them for him or let him buy them. Like most said he probably wont use them till much later, but we all know how boys are. Maybe his friends have some, or he is just thinking ahead. I hope when my son(who is only 4) is that age that I have his confidence and he would come to me like that. I would rather him be protected and smart then have him get a girl preggo while he is only 14.
    MAMMA2DYANDTY

Answer by MAMMA2DYANDTY at 11:59 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• wow. he needs to buy them himself. If you're old enough to have sex, then you're old enough to tough it out through the embarrassment of buying condoms. Still, if he's too embarrassed to buy them and so then has unprotected sex, that's worth buying them for him. Eek, what a touchy situation. I'm sorry for you. They grow up so fast now-even faster than when I was young.
    laadeedah

Answer by laadeedah at 12:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• let him buy his own
    Anonymous