My daughter is 17 months and is a momma's baby who loves to be comforted. It's to the point where she will not sleep in her room by herself or anything. And I can't just lay her down in her crib because she wont sleep in her crib. So I got her a full size bed for in her room. She loves it but she just wont sleep by herself. How can I get her to sleep in her room without me sleeping with her?

Ashleyh0388

Asked by Ashleyh0388 at 7:48 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• does she have a night light? you could even get a big bear or something and when she is asleep put that next to her and she will think it is you it might work
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 7:50 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• This sounds like my daughter. Im a stay at home mom so I had the time and patience to do the following. Start by sitting on the edge of the bed, then get a chair and every night move it closer to the door. Sitting till she falls asleep. Finally just kiss her good night and walk out Takes about two weeks and is time consuming. But, it worked for my daughter. Or you can put her in bed shut the door and let her scream.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:06 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my daughter will soon be two and she has hit the clingy age, so usually i'll lay on the sofa with her and let her fall asleep then move her to her bed, she has a twin sized bed thats low to the floor so when nap time comes around she'll go to sleep on her own, and if she's just way to fussy and refuses to laydown even with me, i'll set her on her bed with some toys and let her play and throw her fit an cry her self to sleep.... so yea the crying thing works if you have patience...
    misskitty1987

Answer by misskitty1987 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If you want her to sleep by herself, you have to gradually get her used to it. For example, stay with her until she falls asleep and then gradually less and less time until she gets used to being alone and falling asleep alone. Try to be consistently moving in the direction of less time spent with her getting her to fall asleep....and then don't spend the night with her at all once you get her sleeping alone because that will set her back in a day!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i would let her have baby dolls sleep with her and have a night light on. i would also leave the bedroom door open and tell her that you are near by in case she needs you.
    avonbooklady58

Answer by avonbooklady58 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know you really are not going to like this. But you may have to just walk away and let her scream. If you give in, she is not going to learn that she has to be a big girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my baby was the same way when he or she fall asleep place her in their bed until they get used to it.
    sleepymom122

Answer by sleepymom122 at 9:58 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• this habit will never end if you dont end it as soon as possible. its hard but its important. for the both of you. i know nothing beats sleeping beside your beloved creation, its amazing what you feel inside. but as a parent you also must teach her, shes ok without you at night. she needs to learn to self soothe. it will take time, and patience. but i suggest you give it a try. good luck! :)
    TARA26

Answer by TARA26 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• What is the big deal? If you are ok with co-sleeping why try to force her to sleep alone? Sleep with your baby, if that is what you want, pretty soon they won't even want to talk to you! Teenage years are coming!!
    Anonymous

• i have this same problem.
    ladiijadex3

Answer by ladiijadex3 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2009