How long after she drops will i start dilating

Im only going to be 36 weeks this friday...my dd has dropped & is head down engaged already..They said my cervix is closed for the moment ..How long usually after they drop all the way do you start dilating

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:03 AM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my baby dropped when i was 35 weeks and she wasnt born until 39 weeks but i started dilating very slowly around 38 weeks. but every woman is different =)
    iloveshealyn

Answer by iloveshealyn at 8:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It was an uncomfortable 3 weeks for me. Your baby has got almost a month to grow so the waiting is probably best.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• There is no certain amount of time. You could start dilating today or it could be a month or more. My baby dropped around 30 weeks and was as low as she could go until I was about 37 weeks, when I finally started dilating. My cervix was really thin that whole time and my doctor said she could feel my DDs head. That, combined with my high bp led her to put me on bedrest to try to prevent pre-term labor. Take heart in knowing that you're very close, though. It could happen at anytime. Take the time you have left to relax and sleep as much as you can, because you're going to need your energy and strength later.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:28 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My kids hung out in the birthing position (head down) for months- I guess that was just comfy for them. Just because the baby has moved to that position does not mean that labor is around the bend...It is however a great sign that your baby is in the correct position for vaginal birth (if this is what you are doing).
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 8:49 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You are only 35 weeks... so I would say you have probably 5 weeks to go... give or take 2. My son was head down the entire last trimester of my pregnancy, and I started dilating around 37 weeks, but he didn't hit station 0 until I was in labor. Then it was really fast. But everyone is different.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 8:57 AM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I started dilating before my daughter even dropped. So It all depends on the woman.
    IceMistress105

Answer by IceMistress105 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 15, 2009